Southampton's Luke Shaw 'tipped' to join Arsenal next year
'The new Gareth Bale' could swap modest terms at Saints for a lucrative career in London
TEENAGE sensation Luke Shaw is "heavily tipped" to leave Southampton in January to join Arsenal. According to the local Daily Echo, 17-year-old Shaw has been scouted by both Arsenal and Chelsea in recent months after a string of impressive performances for the Saints on their return to the Premier League.
The full-back, whose current deal runs until 2015, is on a "modest" salary at Southampton and it's feared he could be lured away from St Mary's in the New Year.
Branded "the new Gareth Bale" in some quarters, the England Under-17 international has yet to enter negotiations with Southampton over a new and improved contract, fuelling speculation that a lucrative move to London is on the cards.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has also reiterated his belief that Theo Walcott will sign a new contract with the Gunners, according to Metro. "My gut feeling is that he belongs to this club and I hope he will do it and sign for us," said the Arsenal manager on Thursday. "I am convinced he will stay."
Fans with good memories may take that with a pinch of salt, last season Arsene Wenger tried to convince Italian journalists that Robin van Persie didn't want to leave Arsenal by betting a chocolate bar, and we all know what happened after that.
Talksport reports that Liverpool target Lucas Biglia has been told he can leave Anderlecht but only if the Reds stump up £8.35m.
Back in the summer the 26-year-old Argentine midfielder was rumoured to be on the wish-list of both Liverpool and Arsenal, but while the Gunners' interest appears to have gone colder than Gervinho sitting on a subs' bench, the Merseyside outfit are apparently homing in on the South American playmaker.
"We have not formally received an offer for Lucas but we know that his agent is making moves in the transfer market," Anderlecht general manager Herman Van Holsbeeck is quoted as saying. "Biglia has two-and-a-half years left on his contract and we would only consider letting him go if we receive an offer of €10.25m. He won't leave in January for a penny less."
But if Arsenal have given up the ghost on Biglia, Liverpool might face competition from AC Milan who are also interested in his services.
The Evening Standard claims that Liverpool are about to acquire Daniel Sturridge after doing a deal with Chelsea for the England striker. Consequently, the Blues are "stepping up" their bid to sign Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao and the Standard goes so far as to say that Chelsea officials have already been to Madrid to discuss a deal for the Colombia international.
Apparently Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is so desperate to bring Falcao to the Bridge that he'll cover the costs of his £48m release clause as well as making sure he earns the same as Fernando Torres's weekly £175,000.
Chelsea were close to signing Falcao in the summer but then manager Roberto Di Matteo opted instead to put his faith in Torres. However, with the Spaniard's barren form continuing, Abramovich has now decided to call for reinforcements in the New Year.
With Chelsea so confident of signing Falcao, the green light has been given to Sturridge, allowing him to move to Anfield next month where he'll link up with Luis Suarez.
Still with Chelsea and the Metro reports that the club is "considering a move" for Dejan Lovren. It's said interim Blues boss Rafa Benitez wants to stiffen his defence in the wake of recent setbacks and he's identified the Lyon centre-back as one of the men to do just that.
The 23-year-old Lovren joined Lyon from Dynamo Zagreb in January 2010, and the French club is apparently now ready to sell him to Chelsea for £6m next month.