Arsenal after Real Madrid starlets Casemiro and Morata
Brazilian midfielder Casemiro has been watched by Gunners scouts, but Inter are also keen
AS ARSENAL fans brace themselves for another horror show, this time against West Ham this evening, the Daily Mirror reports that the Gunners are "eyeing" Real Madrid's Casemiro. Described by the paper as a "Brazilian starlet", the 22-year-old midfielder (above) has apparently been checked out by Arsenal scouts and boss Arsene Wenger is "keen on a deal for this summer".
Casemiro joined Real Madrid from Sao Paulo in a £5m deal last year, but his form hasn't just caught the eye of just Arsenal, Inter Milan are also said to be partial to the South American sorcerer but it's believed they are more interested in a loan deal whereas Arsenal would be happy to meet Real's demand for something more permanent.
The paper also resurrects the rumour that Arsenal are keen on young Spanish striker Alvaro Morata, who is also on the books at Real Madrid but is finding it hard to get game time. The forward was widely tipped to join the Gunners in January but the deal never materialised. According to the tabloid he would be available for around £12m, if he is actually for sale.
Meanwhile, the Daily Star says that Inter's general director Marco Fassone has confirmed that the club are taking more than a passing interest in Chelsea striker Fernando Torres after his miserable season at the Bridge. Admitting that the Spanish striker "is one of the names that interest us", Fassone added that Inter president Erick Thohir was particularly attracted by the thought of signing the 30-year-old.
The Star says that Torres, who has two years remaining on his current Blues deal, remains undecided about his future but any potential deal with Inter could be scuppered if they don't even make it into the Europa League next season. Currently they lie fifth in Serie A and Champions League football looks beyond them, worse still, they might not even make Europe's second string competition if they don't finish in the top six.
In other news, Talksport report that Hoffenheim and Bordeaux are set to battle Manchester City and Tottenham for the hand of Pedro Obiang. The 22-year-old Sampdoria playmaker has been on the Sky Blues' radar for more than a year and while Manuel Pellegrini isn't as keen on him as his predecessor, Roberto Mancini, it's believed City could still make an offer in the summer.
But Talksport claim Hoffenheim and Bordeaux both had scouts run the rule over Obiang on Sunday as he and his Sampdoria teammates slumped to a 4-0 defeat to Inter. Valued at £8m, the Spain Under-21 international has come through the ranks at Sampdoria but is said to be open to a fresh challenge next season.
Finally, the Evening Standard says that Senegalese midfielder Mohamed Diame wants out of West Ham at the end of the season and believes Liverpool are interested in signing him.
With just four goals in 36 appearances for the Hammers, Diame has hardly set the Upton Park turf alight but he's also made no bones about the fact his style isn't suited to West Ham's style of play. Asked about the possibility of a move to Liverpool, Diame replied: "I can't tell you if I will be a Liverpool player next season but... my name is still on their wanted list. I don't hide it, I'm ambitious and I want to join a top-six side. I am 26 years old and it's time to take that step."