Daily Briefing

Ten Things You Need to Know Today: Wednesday 6 Aug 2014

The Week’s super-quick catch-up on the main news talking points, available from 8am daily

Politics
1. BORIS JOHNSON TO STAND AS MP NEXT YEAR
Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, has announced that he will "in all probability" stand as an MP in next year's general election. He added that if he was successful he would not quit his role in London but would do both jobs until his mayoral term ends in May 2016. David Cameron said he was "delighted" by the news.
Ebola
2. EBOLA CONFERENCE AS DISEASE SPREADS
The World Health Organization is meeting to discuss ways of tackling Ebola and decide whether to declare a global health emergency. The two-day conference comes after a second person died from the disease in Lagos, Nigeria, the biggest city in Africa, and after a man suspected to have contracted Ebola died in Saudi Arabia.
Scottish independence
3. DARLING ‘WINS’ SCOT INDEPENDENCE DEBATE
Alistair Darling, former Chancellor and leader of the ‘no’ campaign in the Scottish independence referendum, ‘won’ a TV debate with first minister Alex Salmond last night, if a Guardian/ICM poll conducted immediately afterwards is to be believed. The poll gave 56% to Darling and 44% to Salmond.
4. US GENERAL KILLED IN AFGHANISTAN ATTACK
The most senior US military officer to die in combat since the Vietnam war, Major General Harold Greene, has been killed in a shooting at a British-run military academy in Afghanistan. Also shot and injured by a man alleged to be a “terrorist in [Afghan] army uniform” were 15 others, including two Britons.
5. BRITISH STUDENTS MURDERED IN BORNEO
Two British medical students have been stabbed to death in Borneo. The pair, who were on a six-week placement from Newcastle University, have been named as Neil Dalton and Aidan Brunger. They were attacked after a row in a tea shop in the Malaysian city of Kuching. Police said four men had been arrested over the murders.
Health & Science
6. ASPIRIN A DAY ‘COULD PREVENT CANCER’
A daily dose of aspirin could help ward off some types of cancer, according to a new study which warns that using the drug would bring other health problems. Researchers estimate that 130,357 cancer deaths could be prevented over the next two decades if everyone between 50 and 64 took aspirin for ten years.
7. LATE NIGHT US SHOW FOR JAMES CORDEN
British actor James Corden, who made his name as loveable rogue Smithy in the BBC’s Gavin and Stacey, is rumoured to be taking over as host of CBS talk show The Late Late Show from Craig Ferguson, who is leaving shortly after being passed over as a replacement for channel-mate David Letterman.
8. US CHEMIST TO BUY ALLIANCE BOOTS
US pharmacy chain Walgreens is to buy British High Street chemist Alliance Boots. The American company already owns 45% of Alliance Boots but will now seek shareholder approval to buy the other 55% for around £5bn. Alliance Boots is based in Switzerland but the merged company is likely to be headquartered in Chicago.
Health & Science
9. SPACE: COMET CHASER REACHES TARGET
A comet-chasing European spacecraft has finally caught up with its target after a ten-year pursuit. The Rosetta probe today began orbiting the comet, known as 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, around 550 million km from Earth. It will travel alongside the comet for 15 months mapping and studying it. It will also fire a landing craft onto the rock.
Hot Ticket
10. HOT TICKET: FRINGE DRAMA SMALLWAR
One-man multimedia stage show SmallWar has opened at the Traverse Theatre, Edinburgh. Experimental Belgian theatre-maker Valentijn Dhaenens uses audio and video projection to explore the emotional and physical fall-out of war. "Stark and poetic," says The Daily Telegraph. Until 24 August.