Arsenal up their offer for Fulham’s Mark Schwarzer
Transfer Talk: Arsene Wenger offers £3.5 for the keeper, but may miss out on Kjaer and Sessegnon
Where some turn to comfort eating to get over heartache, Arsene Wenger prefers comfort buying, and the Arsenal boss is reportedly about to splash the cash as he looks to recover from the pain of France's humiliating exit from the World Cup. According to the Mirror, Wenger has stepped up his bid to land Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer after his first offer of £3m was knocked by the Cottagers.
This time Wenger is offering £3.5million for the ageing Aussie and the Mirror says the 37-year-old Schwarzer has made it plain to Fulham that he wants to head north to the Emirates. It's the shotstopper's maturity that attracts Wenger apparently, an asset he believes as he looks to build a new defence next season. With Philip Senderos, Mikael Silvestre and William Gallas all leaving the club over the summer, Arsenal are short of experience at centre-back with only Sol Campbell, who recently extended his contract for another season, and Thomas Vermaelen having the necessary experience.
Wenger may be confident of winning the fight to sign Schwarzer, but he could be set to miss out on two other players he had hoped to add to his squad.
Danish defender Simon Kjaer was linked with the Gunners at the start of the summer and was seen as a like-for-like replacement for Gallas. But now the £13m rated Palermo player appears to be closer to a deal to join Spurs or either Manchester United or City.
Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini said he was prepared to sell the 21-year-old, and revealed: "I know of talks with the two Manchester clubs, Tottenham and Wolfsburg. Inter have not called me so I don't know if they're interested."
Paris St Germain midfielder Stephane Sessegnon has also been linked with the Gunners, but Everton boss David Moyes has jumped to the front of the queue. The player has announced his intention to leave PSG and Everton are hoping that £6m will be all they need to pay for the Benin international, although his club want £8m.
Chelsea and Manchester City are at loggerheads over Spanish winger David Silva. City thought they had a £28m deal in the bag, but now Chelsea have expressed an interest and the 24-year-old is thought to favour a move to London.
However, Chelsea may let Silva slip through their fingers as they concentrate on a massive double swoop for German midfield pair Mesut Ozil and Thomas Muller. Blues boss Carlo Ancelotti has been given a brand new chequebook by Roman Abramovich and may be about to put pen to paper to the tune of £45m for the two - split evenly between their clubs Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich.
Meanwhile, back at Tottenham, Harry Redknapp is reportedly trying to ward off a raid from Barcelona on their midfielder Wilson Palacios. The Spanish club see the 25-year-old Palacios as an ideal replacement for Yaya Toure, recently signed for Manchester City, and according to Spanish rag Mundo Deportivo Barcelona have identified the Honduras star as a face that would fit in well at the Nou Camp.
Palacios has been in fine form for Honduras in the World Cup and showed up well in his country's 2-0 defeat to Spain earlier in the week. But Spurs are in no mood to sell Palacios, whom they bought from Wigan two years ago for £10m, and whose contract expires in 2013. But then Arsenal could tell their neighbours a thing or two about contracts and what they mean to Barcelona.
The Daily Mail reports that Spurs are going head to head with Manchester United in an attempt to sign Mexico winger Pablo Barrera from Universidad Nacional, a Mexican league side better known as the Pumas. Italian outfit Lazio have already bid £3m for Barrera, who turned 23 on Monday, but understandably this paltry sum was laughed off by the Pumas. But now the Mail says that United and Spurs are preparing offers for the player who is comfortable on either wing. United were first alerted to Barrera by the same scouts who recommended Javier Hernandez and their interest has been further aroused by Barrera's performances for Mexico in the pool stage of the World Cup. And Spurs have been similarly impressed by Barrera, who has made over 20 appearances for his country.
Finally Italian paper La Gazzetta dello Sport says that Brazilian forward Ronaldinho might be on his way to join David Beckham at Los Angeles Galaxy. The papers says that AC Milan want to get shot off Ronaldinho now that's in the twilight of his career in order to lower their wage bill, and Galaxy are said to be interested in bringing the former FIFA World Player of the Year Stateside for around £10m. ·
Comments are now closed on this article