Arsenal finally get their man as Chamakh signs up
Transfer Talk: The striker has agreed to become a Gunner in a four-year deal that nets him £12m
It's been on and off more times than Brad and Angelina's relationship but it appears that Arsenal have finally got their man – in the svelte shape of Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh.
The Gunners have been linked to the 26-year-old Moroccan-born frontman for the best part of a year but the Daily Mail has confirmed he is definitely on his way to the Emirates in the summer – and on a free transfer, meaning Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger will still have £45m in the kitty with which to strengthen his squad.
Chamakh, who scored for Bordeaux in their 3-1 defeat to Lyon in last week's Champions League quarter-final, has agreed a four-year deal that will net him £12m in total.
Meanwhile, the media on Merseyside report that Arsenal and Liverpool are both chasing Wigan striker Hugo Rodallega. The 24-year-old Colombian has scored nine goals in the Premier League this season but is allegedly setting his sights higher next season though he remains coy about his suitors. "There are many rumours about several teams but nothing is concrete until the market opens for players in June," Rodallega is quoted as saying. "It is something that is rumoured and I cannot take it to heart. We're talking about a very large, very established top club that is practically historical in England."
But for the time being Rodallega, a seasoned Colombian international, remains loyal to the Lactics. "Right now, my head is focused on playing with Wigan, to finish the season well and keep us in the division."
Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti says he expects unsettled Joe Cole to remain loyal to Chelsea, despite recent reports linking him with a move to Manchester United in the summer. Ironically, Cole scored the opening goal for the Blues against United in Saturday's 2-1 win, and Ancelotti believes the 28-year-old midfielder will be adding to his Chelsea tally next season. "He will definitely sign a new contract. There is no problem, don't worry," Ancelotti tells the Sun. "I've spoken a lot about Joe Cole with my club and everyone has a desire for him to stay at Chelsea and so does he."
According to Ancelotti, the only thing preventing Cole putting pen to paper was "an economical problem", and he doesn't mean Britain's soaring budget deficit that may leave the pound weak until 2014. Rather, Cole is keen for his weekly-wages to hit the six figure mark, in line with many of his fellow teammates.
Finally the Daily Mail reports that AC Milan have thrown in the towel in their attempts to sign Bosian striker Edin Dzeko from German outfit Wolfsburg, leaving the door open for either Chelsea or Manchester City. The Italian club have grown fonder of Klaas-Jan Huntelaar in recent weeks, the Dutch frontman who arrived at the San Siro last summer from Real Madrid, and they also think that Dzeko isn't worth the £25m that Wolfsburg are asking. Now the Mail reports that Chelsea and City are interested, particularly as money isn't an issue for either club.
As for Dzeko he seems to be coming round to the idea of playing in England, having earlier stated his desire to play only in Serie A: "I never said that I absolutely want Italy. If the right offer comes in then I will say yes." ·
Comments are now closed on this article