Nasri ‘left out’ of Arsenal squad as City deal nears

Arsenal; Manchester United

Transfer Talk: Arsenal agree to leave Nasri at home, Kuyt wants out of Liverpool

BY Bill Mann LAST UPDATED AT 12:20 ON Tue 23 Aug 2011

Not content with capitulating to Liverpool at the weekend it seems that Arsenal have also caved in to the demands of their wantaway midfielder Samir Nasri, who has begged Arsene Wenger not to play him in the Champions League against Udinese on Wednesday, as it would jeopardise his £22m move to Manchester City.

The Guardian reports this morning that the Frenchman has been left out of the squad to face Udinese so he will not be cup-tied.

And according to the Telegraph a deal is not far off. It says the only thing stopping the transfer going through are the demands Nasri's advisers. The paper claims the clubs have agreed a fee and the player has accepted the generous offer of £170,000 a week. However, the player's reps still need their pound of flesh and such is the nature of modern football that no-one will sign anything until they have been appeased.

But the same paper also claims that Nasri may have a last minute change of heart and sign a one-year extension to his Arsenal contract, meaning that we can all go through the same pantomime next summer, when the Frenchman apparently hopes that either Man United or a team from Spain will be prepared to stump up the fee.

And just to sum up Arsenal’s shrinking status, now they can’t even get rid of their rejects. According to Talksport the Gunners are desperately trying to find a club brave (or stupid) enough to snap up Sebastien Squillaci but so far they're having as much luck as an Indian cricket team.

The French centre-back arrived at the Emirates last summer from Sevilla but proved as defensively sound as the Maginot Line.  

Now Talksport claim that Arsenal are hawking him around the Premier League for less than £4m despite the fact the Gunners are short in the defensive department after injuries to Laurent Koscielny, Kieran Gibbs and Johan Djourou

Elsewhere Liverpool playmaker Dirk Kuyt hasn't ruled out the possibility of leaving Anfield if he feels it would further his career. The Dutch international has been part of the furniture at the Reds since arriving from Feyenoord in 2006, but with Kenny Dalglish preferring to leave him on the bench so far this season, Kuyt's agent is talking tough.

"Dirk wants to stay at Liverpool, but we will look at his situation," trumpeted Rob Jansen in an interview with Associated Press. The 30-year-old Kuyt has been linked with Inter Milan in recent weeks but Jansen was non-committal when asked of the rumours. "There are a few clubs who are following Dirk, but there is nothing concrete. Are Inter interested? I don't know." Oh, you tease...

Meanwhile Liverpool midfielder Alberto Aquilani is on his way to AC Milan according to his agent, Franco Zavaglia. Speaking to Italian website ilsussidiario.net, he said: "The involved parties are working on this case, and between Wednesday and Thursday, everything will be decided."

The 27-year-old midfielder has been angling for a move away from Merseyside ever since his arrival from Roma in 2009 and it seems he's about to finally get his wish.

In other news Manchester United have told Paris Saint Germain they can go and jump in the Seine (or words to that effect) if they think they're getting their French paws on Dimitar Berbatov.

The Metro claims that the Parisian club, rolling in cash following their summer acquisition by a consortium of Qatar businessmen, have inquired as to the availability of the Bulgarian frontman but received a brusque response from Old Trafford.

In an interview with France Football, PSG boss Leonardo said: "I spoke to Ferguson on the phone but he told me that he was counting on Berbatov and that he was not up for sale." The 30-year-old Berbatov has slipped behind Javier Hernandez and Danny Welbeck in United's strike force, but clearly Ferguson believes he's got a role to play this season.

And something similar could be said of Chelsea defender Alex and Juventus. The 29-year-old centre-back allegedly offered himself to the Serie A outfit at the weekend in the hope that a deal could be reached between the two clubs.

Italian rag Tuttosport says the Brazilian believes he has no future at the Bridge, and with Chelsea in need of a keeper to replace the injured Petr Cech it might be the case that the Blues give Juventus Alex in return for Marco Storari. The veteran shotstopper, who plays second fiddle at Juve to Gianluigi Buffon, is apparently wanted by Chelsea on a loan basis. · 

For further concise, balanced comment and analysis on the week's news, try The Week magazine. Subscribe today and get 6 issues completely free.