Arsenal deny M'Vila link and miss out on Pogba and Hazard
Arsene Wenger teases reporters over M'Vila while chase for Dembele's signature hots up
COULD Arsenal be facing another summer of discontent, as one-by-one their big summer transfer targets drift out of reach?
First up is Yann M'Vila. He seemed a dead cert earlier this week, when it was reported that the Gunners had finalised terms with the player and agreed a £17.7m fee with his club rennes. That was until the London Evening Standard accused the player's agent of making up the story to try and force a better offer from Inter Milan.
Now Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has done what his defence have failed to do the whole season and weighed into the fray. The Nutty Professor didn't pull his punches when asked by reporters what the situation was regarding nidfielder M'Vila. Asked if he was joining the Gunners he replied: "It's not true... We have not been in touch with anybody and we have not made any offer to anybody and we are nowhere near buying anybody at the moment."
However the wily Wenger did seem to suggest he might make a move for the French international when asked if he had any interest at all in signing M'Vila. "Not at the moment," he said. Oh Arsene, you tease...
Another player long linked to Arsenal is Manchester United prodigy Paul Pogba, who has been angling for a move away from Old Trafford. It seems that he will definitely be heading south from Manchester this summer, but the only glimpse he will get at the Emirates is from a plane heading for Turin. The France under -19 player is to pledge his troth to Juventus on July 1, says the Daily Mail, when his United contract expires, signing up with the Italian champions for four years.
Even more painfully, it seems that the Gunners will also miss out on a player they spotted long before anyone had even heard of him. Eden Hazard, who was first linked with Arsenal back in 2009, told French TV earlier this week that he was heading for the Premier League. He declined to say where exactly he was heading but tantalised viewers by announcing: "It's the blue that I’ll be wearing next season. Definitely the blue."
And that, according to the Manchester Evening News, is proof that he will be heading to Manchester City for £30m.
Still it's not all doom and gloom for Gunners. The Sun claims that Arsenal are "hunting" Japanese star Shinji Kagawa. The Dortmund dynamo has been in the Gunners' sights for several months but the red top says that Wenger now has his finger on the trigger (not literally) and hopes to bag the 23-year-old midfielder in the summer. According to The Sun, Kagawa will be available "for a cut-price £5 million" as his contract with Borussia Dortmund expires in 2013.
To other news and it's a toss up to know which is more baffling right now: quantitative easing or the future of Moussa Dembele. The Metro reports that the 24-year-old Belgian international is out of contract at Fulham next year and as a result a host of clubs are closing in.
Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham were first linked with the attacking midfielder earlier in the season, but the Metro says their hopes of landing Dembele have been dented by the arrival on the scene of Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea.
It's believed Fulham are resigned to losing Dembele in the summer but are hoping a bidding war will break out and net them £10m plus. That's £5m more than the west London club paid for Dembele when they signed him from Dutch outfit AZ Alkmaar in 2010.
Elsewhere and the London Evening Standard reports that Emmanuel Adebayor could be on his way to join Thierry Henry at the New York Red Bulls. The Standard claims that the MLS side "have been in contact with Adebayor's advisors" to say they would be happy to meet his £175,000-a-week wage.
Adebayor has enjoyed a good season at Spurs since joining them on loan from Manchester City but they have no means of meeting his wage demands. Adebayor still has a year left on his contract with City and for that reason the Sky Blues would be more than happy if the Red Bulls settled his wage bill.
Finally, Manchester United may be shedding trophies like Planet Earth Live sheds viewers but that hasn't stopped the Red Devils making a move for Udinese star Kwadwo Asamoah.
According to Italian rag Il Sussidiario, United have tabled an offer of €12m [£10m] for the Ghana international. The 23-year-old midfielder has been with the Serie A outfit for three years but has caught the eye of Alex Ferguson this season. Juventus are also said to be interested in Asamoah and Il Sussidiario reports that Udinese are holding out for €15m.