Rooney tells Van Persie to join United, Arsenal lose Niang race
Van Persie urged to quit Emirates, Niang snubs Premier League and Arsenal chase Korean
ENGLAND AND Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has made an impassioned plea to Robin van Persie to jump ship from the Emirates. United have spent the summer chasing the Arsenal striker and now Rooney has joined the hunt, telling the Dutchman he needs to relocate to Old Trafford.
"He'd be a great addition to the squad," replied Rooney when asked his thoughts on Van Persie, adding: "He's a player I admire. He has been amazing for Arsenal over many years." As for whether he reckoned he and Van Persie could form a lethal strikeforce, a smiling Rooney responded: "I'd like to think so - but you'd have to ask the manager."
Meanwhile, it's bad news for Arsenal, Spurs and Manchester City in the race to sign Caen teenager M'Baye Niang. According to the Metro, it's AC Milan who are on the brink of landing the gifted 17-year-old who is tipped to be the best thing to come out of France since Patrick Vieira.
Apparently it was Arsenal in pole position to sign Niang after Caen agreed he could leave following their relegation from the French first division in May.
The Gunners even took the France Under-21 striker on trial, and all went well, but not for the first time at the Emirates it was the fee that saw the deal collapse.
The Metro claims that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger offered £5m only to be told by Caen that they expected £2m more. "Talks finally broke down for good last week," says the Metro and while City and Spurs have made enquiries, Milan have wasted no time in agreeing a deal for Niang.
They'll take him on loan this season in a £400,000 deal and then, if things go according to plan, pay Caen an additional £6m next June. Much to Arsenal's displeasure, Niang has already been to Milan to discuss personal terms and the transfer is set to go through at the weekend.
The Gunners may also have a fight on their hands if they want to sign Celtic's South Korean star Ki Sung-Yeung. Earlier this week it was reported that Arsenal's scouts had given him a glowing report and that Arsene Wenger was about to make an offer. But now the Daily Mail reports that Atletico Madrid are also keen on the 'Korean Gerrard'.
One Korean who definitely won't be wearing Arsenal colours in the Premier League next season is Park Chu-Young. The striker who was hailed as a "valuavble addition" to the Gunners ranks last summer has proved to be a complete flop, he couldn't even get above Marouane chamakh in the pecking order, and now Metro reports that Wenger has told the player's representatives he will not feature for the club next season, and should seek a transfer away.
Meanwhile AC Milan's neighbours, Inter, are being linked with Manchester City midfielder Nigel De Jong. Talksport reports that the 27-year-old Dutch international is angling for a move out of the Etihad after becoming a bit-part player in the past season.
Talksport claims that De Jong's agent, Rodger Linse, sat down with Inter officials in Milan on Thursday to thrash out a deal. Apparently Inter don't believe De Jong is worth the £2.4m a season he's allegedly demanding and compromise is believed to be in the air. Manchester City boss Roberto Manicini is happy to let De Jong go provided Inter stump up £7m.
Still with Inter and Italian website Calciomercatonews.com reports that the Serie A club have their eye on Gaston Ramirez. The news won't go down well at Anfield where Liverpool have had their eye on the Uruguayan playmaker ever since Brendan Rodgers became boss.
Inter had wanted to bring Brazilian Lucas Moura to the San Siro but they lost out to Paris Saint-Germain. Now apparently they have turned their attention to the 21-year-old Ramirez and are willing to pay Bologna their asking price of £16m
Finally, the Mirror reports that Luka Modric has been "left in limbo by suitors Real Madrid". The Spurs midfielder has been hoping for a move to the Bernabeu for weeks and it seemed certain earlier in the summer. But according to the Mirror, Real president Florentino Perez is about to abort the transfer mission as Spurs refuse to lower their price tag of £40.
Real have tabled a £30m bid but apparently refuse to go higher for the Croatian playmaker.