Rampant Manchester City hit Wolves for five

Oct 27, 2011
Gavin Mortimer

Roberto Mancini's men cruise into the Carling Cup quarter finals with Liverpool, Chelsea and Blackburn

MANCHESTER CITY have done to Wolves what they did to Manchester United on Sunday, humiliating their hosts on their home patch. The Citizens romped to a 5-2 win in the Carling Cup to take their tally of goals to 21 in the last five games.

Roberto Mancini chose to completely change his starting line from the XI that thrashed United 6-1 at Old Trafford at the weekend, but it appeared his policy was in danger of backfiring when Wolves took the lead on 18 minutes through Nenad Milijas.

But then, in the space of an incredible four minutes, Manchester City scored three times to turn the game on its head. First Adam Johnson equalised on 37 minutes before Samir Nasri gave the visitors the lead on 39. Sixty seconds later it was 3-1 to City when Edin Dzeko latched on to a loose ball and fired past Dorus De Vries in the Wolves goal.

The fun continued after the break with an own goal from De Vries on 50 minutes making it 4-1, before Dzeko scored his second and City's fifth. Though Jamie O'Hara pulled one back for Wolves it was scant consolation as City eased into the last eight of the Carling Cup.

Also joining the Citizens in the quarter-finals are Liverpool, who came from behind to beat Stoke 2-1 thanks to two goals from the outstanding Luis Suarez. Kenwyne Jones had given the Potters the lead on the stroke of half-time but the Uruguayan striker took command in the second half, scoring his first on 54 minutes and his second five minutes from time.

The evening's other two ties both required extra-time. In a game full of drama Everton succumbed 2-1 to Chelsea at Goodison Park. Chelsea took the lead on 38 minutes through Salomon Kalou but then had keeper Ross Turnbull dismissed on 60 minutes for felling Louis Saha in the box. From the resultant spot-kick substitute Petr Cech saved Leighton Baines' effort, but Everton did equalise when Louis Saha headed home on 83 minutes.

Everton's hopes of exploiting their one-man advantage in extra-time were dashed when Royston Drenthe was shown a second yellow card for a high tackle, and minutes later Daniel Sturridge pounced to score the winning goal for Chelsea. "We were able not only to play good football, but show good commitment and desire," said Chelsea manager Andres Villas-Boas.

Blackburn also left it late to see off Newcastle with Gael Givet's extra-time header sealing a thrilling 4-3 victory at Ewood Park. Blackburn had been cruising at the end of normal time, leading their visitors 2-0, but then two goals in stoppage time from the Magpies took the tie to extra-time. Morten Gamst Pedersen gave Blackburn the lead on 99 minutes before Peter Lovenkrands restored parity with a penalty six minutes later. Then in the very last minute of extra-time Givet headed home Pedersen’s free kick for Blackburn’s fourth quarter-final appearance in five years.

Sign up for our daily newsletter