Arsenal go courting Argentine playmaker Lucas Biglia

Man Utd's ousting from Champions League may have cost them the chance to hook Anderlecht playmaker

BY Bill Mann LAST UPDATED AT 07:26 ON Wed 14 Dec 2011

ARSENAL are rumoured to be considering a move for Anderlecht playmaker Lucas Biglia. Talksport claims the Gunners are courting the 25-year-old Argentina international and a January offer is in the pipeline.

Anderlecht are apparently reluctant to let go of Biglia but the player is said to be keen to test himself in the Premier League. Should Arsenal meet the asking price of £9m then a deal could be completed next month. Manchester United were linked to Biglia earlier in the year, but with the Red Devils now consigned to the Europa League, it appears only Arsenal will match Biglia’s ambitions.
 
Still with Arsenal and the Metro reports that AC Milan defender Taye Taiwo is sending ‘come and get me’ signals to Arsene Wenger. The nutty professor was said to be after the 26-year-old Nigerian last summer but Taiwo opted instead for a move from Marseille to AC Milan.

But things haven’t worked out for the full-back and he’s making no secret of the fact he wants more game time. “I am suffering every day because I don't get to play football,” says Taiwo. “I joined this club in order to play, but I have made only six appearances so far.”

Despite Arsenal’s recent run of good form, the club has an injury crisis at the back with Andre Santos, Kieran Gibbs, Bacary Sagna and Carl Jenkinson all out injured, and according to the Metro Wenger will pounce for Taiwo in the New Year.

Elsewhere Manchester City might not have come away from the Bridge with three points on Monday but according to Talksport the Sky Blues might have prised youngster Conor Hunte from west London. The England Under 16s player is one of the promising teenagers in the country and City boss Roberto Mancini is apparently keen to snap him up from under the noses of Chelsea.

Goal.com reports that Newcastle United intend to stop the rot in their season by signing Modibo Maiga from French side Sochaux. The Magpies were second in the Premier League a few weeks ago but three defeats in their last four games have seen them slip to seventh, and boss Alan Pardew has apparently decided the 24-year-old Mali striker is the answer to his problems. Goal.com says that Newcastle will pay Sochaux £7m for Maiga and the player is due to have his medical this week as the deal nears completion.

Finally, another day and another rumour concerning Carlos Tevez - though this one is sounds the most far-fetched yet. Having been linked to most of the top clubs in the world, the out-of-favour Manchester City striker is said to be on the radar of Tottenham.

According to the Sun, Harry Redknapp “is plotting a sensational move” for the Argentine stiker and the Lilywhites boss has made City a £20m offer in the hope of reuniting Tevez with former team-mate Emmanuel Adebayor.

The paper quotes a source close to the negotiations as saying: "There's definite interest. The big stumbling block could be whether or not City are prepared to do business with a team now regarded as one of their rivals for the title." · 

For further concise, balanced comment and analysis on the week's news, try The Week magazine. Subscribe today and get 6 issues completely free.