Deadline day: Arsenal offload wingers, Johnson to Everton?
The latest rumours on the final day of the January transfer window
DEADLINE day has finally arrived and after the chaos of last year, when Fernando Torres quit Liverpool for Chelsea and Andy Carroll headed to Anfield, it's been relatively quiet this year. According to Deloitte's Sport Business Group, by 9.45am today spending by Premier League clubs amounted to just £35m this month. It was £90m by this time last year. However, that could all change before 11pm tonight. Here are some of the main movements and big rumours of the day so far:
• Three years after he arrived at the Emirates on deadline day, Arsenal misfit Andrey Arshavin could be heading back to Russia after reports that big-spending Anzhi Makhachkala have begin negotiations to sign him. The 30-year-old has fallen out of favour this season, and was widely blamed for Manchester United's winner against the Gunners earlier this month. Anzhi already have big stars like Samuel Eto'o, Roberto Carlos and former Chelsea man Yuri Zhirkov on their books. It is not known what sort of offer they have made for the winger.
• Wheeler-dealer Harry Redknapp may be busy with his court case this week, but that has not stopped Spurs from grabbing the headlines on transfer day. Not only are they being linked with what is thought to be a loan deal for Louis Saha, they are also said to be interested in Wigan striker Hugo Rodallega. Wigan chairman Dave Whelan told ESPNSoccernet he was expecting a late Spurs bid for his player. He also revealed that Rodallega was set to leave Wigan in a swap deal for Fulham's Andy Johnson, but Johnson pulled out at the last minute.
• Bolton have completed the loan signing of Ryo Miyaichi from Arsenal. The Japanese winger has moved to Reebok Stadium for the rest of the season. That could mean that Andrey Arshavin is not heading for the Emirates exit just yet, as Arsene Wenger would be left with just three wingers, Gervinho, Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. However, as The Daily Telegraph pointed out, Arshavin's transfer to Anzhi does not need to be finalised today as the window in Russia is open until February 24.
• Everton are set to capture Manchester City's England winger Adam Johnson on loan for the rest of the season. The Daily Mirror reports that David Moyes believes he can bring creativity to midfield and that he is unhappy at City. Last month Johnson said: "I’ve been awfully disappointed that I haven’t played as many games, because everyone wants to play in all the games."
• You may not have heard of him but Manchester United rate 19-year-old Frederic Veseli highly enough to poach him from local rivals Manchester City. The former Switzerland Under-17 captain has been with City since 2008, but has not started a game for Roberto Mancini's side. The players agent Adam Bouskouchi has hinted that there will be an announcement about the player's future on Twitter.
• The Carlos Tevez saga has taken another twist with hours to go before the transfer window slams shut. AC Milan are now reported to have re-opened negotiations over a deal for the striker after Paris Saint Germain, one of the clubs that Tevez had been linked with, apparently made a move for the Italian club's striker Alexandre Pato. According to Sky Sports, Milan ended their interest in Manchester City's ostracised Argentine after signing his fellow countryman Maxi Lopez last week. But now that Brazilian Pato is edging towards the exit door at the San Siro there is space for another striker. "It is now understood that Milan have re-entered talks with Tevez's representatives ahead of Tuesday's 11pm deadline," says Sky.
• One of the more curious rumours of the day concerns Everton's 33-year-old French striker Louis Saha who has been strongly linked with a move to Spurs. The London club are also said to be hoping to sign Emmanuel Adebayor on a permanent deal for £8m. The Togolese striker is on a season-long loan from Manchester City but has been a successs at White Hart Lane. The arrival of Saha appears to be because of the imminent departure of Jermain Defoe (above). He has been linked with a move to Liverpool and the BBC website says he was seen at Liverpool airport earlier. It is possible that he could be heading not to Anfield but to either Everton in a swap deal or Man City as part of the Adebayor switch. UPDATE: Steven Pienaar is now being touted as the makeweight in a deal for Saha.
• Despite claiming that there would be no more transfer activity during the window, Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini is reportedly in discussions over signing Chilean midfielder David Pizarro from Roma on loan. "The 32-year old's agent, Giuseppe Bozzo, has flown to London for talks with Manchester City officials, after Roma decided he could go out on loan for the rest of the season, with a view to a permanent near-£1million move," says The Daily Mail.
• Although he has barely payed for the Manchester United first team, the gifted Ravel Morrison has already earned himself a reputation as a real prospect. However, Sir Alex Ferguson has decided to offload him to West Ham, apparently because he is fed up with his off-field disciplinary problems. The Daily Telegraph reports that he will be joining West Ham. The two clubs are said to have agreed a fee of £1m for the midfielder who was also wanted by Bolton and Roma.
• QPR look as though they could be one of the big movers today. It appears Mark Hughes is determined to revamp his forward line. Djibril Cisse is reported to be joining for £4m and the Telegraph claims that the Londoners have made a bid for Fulham's Bobby Zamora.
• Chelsea have signed Genk midfielder Kevin de Bruyne. The 20-year-old has signed a five-and-a-half-year deal believed to be worth around £9m, reports The Daily Mail, but will stay with the Belgian champions on loan until the end of the season. He is the third Belgian player to join the club since Andre Villas-Boas took over. He follows in the footsteps of Romelu Lukaku and Thibaut Courtois who arrived at Stamford Bridge last summer.
• Blackburn have signed winger Marcus Olsson, twin brother of defender Martin who also plays for the club, on a free transfer from Swedish side Halmstads BK.
• Everton have agreed a fee with Rangers for Croatian striker Nikica Jelavic. The BBC reports that West Ham had a bid of £7m turned down by the Scottish club.
• As reported in TheWeek.co.uk earlier, Arsenal are expected to unveil German teenage midfielder Thomas Eisfeld today. He will join for £450,000 from Dortmund. ·