Arsenal eye Madrid star Sahin as Cazorla, Ganso deals stall

Nuri Sahin

But could Nuri Sahin become makeweight for Spurs in Modric deal?

BY Bill Mann LAST UPDATED AT 07:05 ON Fri 27 Jul 2012

'MUST try harder' is what Malaga have told Arsenal as they try to lure midfielder Santi Cazorla to the Emirates. It seemed as if the 27-year-old Spanish international was on his way to London after the player agreed personal terms and the Gunners put in an offer of £15.6m. However, Malaga are now demanding more money and are not likely to accept anything less than £20m.

Website Goal.com says that the deal has stalled and points out that if Arsenal want to trigger the player's buy-out clause they will have to stump up £35.3m. Working in Arsenal's favour is the fact that Cazorla is unhappy with his current club. Malaga may have been bought out by a Qatari billionaire but there have been cashflow problems at the club, which still has debts to clear, and Cazorla complained that he had not been paid last month.

However, could Wenger already be looking elsewhere for a midfield general. The Spanish press today is full of reports that he is set to take Real Madrid's Turkish star Nuri Sahin on loan for a season. Metro reports that the player has been left out of Real's pre-season plans pending a move.

The 23-year-old is valued at £10m and has been told he can leave the Bernabeu, but it seems Arsenal only want him on a temporary basis. Metro, though, says that his destination is not yet determined and says that he could be heading for Spurs, a move which could hasten the departure of Luka Modric to Real.

As the Olympic flame passed close to the Emirates on Thursday, Arsenal's hopes of signing the 22-year-old Brazil star Ganso appeared to be extinguished.

The attacking midfielder has been chased by both the Gunners and AC Milan in recent months but the Metro reports that he wants to stay at Santos, even though he's yet to agree an extension to his contract.

It's alleged Ganso – who played last night in Brazil's 3-2 defeat of Egypt in the Olympic football tournament – demanded his wages be tripled if he was to remain in South America. Santos refused to cave in to Ganso's wishes, prompting speculation that he would take up an offer with either Arsenal or AC Milan.

But the Metro quotes Ganso as saying: "My future is at Santos. I have a contract until 2015, and right now I am focused on winning the gold at the Olympic Games."

Not that AC Milan appear to be too put out by the news, far from it. According to Talksport the Italian giants are instead "weighing up a move" for Manchester City defender Micah Richards.

Currently slumming it in the Olympic Village with the other millionaire members of the Team GB football squad, Richards has apparently caught the eye of Milan with his performances for the Sky Blues. They view the 24-year-old defender as the man to replace Thiago Silva, who joined Paris Saint-Germain earlier in the month. But Talksport claims that AC Milan face competition from Real Madrid, with manager Jose Mourinho also a fan of Richards.

Newcastle have drawn a blank in their bid to sign midfielder Romaric. The 29-year-old Ivory Coast international was on the radar of Magpies boss Alan Pardew but Romaric has decided to stay in Spain. Sevilla have released a statement on their website announcing that he has joined Real Zaragoza on a free transfer.

Italian website calciomercato.com reports that Liverpool and Manchester City are on red alert after the agent of Uruguay international Gaston Ramirez claimed that his client wanted a fresh start.

The Bologna winger is highly rated and agent Pablo Betancur explained that in his opinion "Ramirez will leave" the club this summer. Admitting that Inter Milan had made a derisory offer for Ramirez, Betancur then revealed his client's ambition. "I think it's always been more likely that Gaston says goodbye to Italy," he said. "So much so that now I'm in London to talk with a Premier League club." Liverpool are rumoured to be preparing a bid for Ramirez while City boss Roberto Mancini is also a fan of the South American.

Finally The Sun says that Lyon "will listen" to Spurs when they come calling for Hugo Lloris. The French keeper, who represented his country in the recent Euro 2012 championships, is eager to test himself in the Premier League. According to the Sun, a £9.5m deal could be agreed as early as next week for the 25-year-old shot-stopper. · 

Disqus - noscript

Malaga are stupid, its not like Wenger is not known for his strictness in the transfer market. They probably wont get nothing like that 15mil now. Tottenham or Liverpool will probably get him for 10mil now. Think they should sack whoever it was that decided to mess up the deal and recuperate some of their loss. lol

Malaga dont nowwhatthey are doing they are in problemsand still want 20m Arsene wenger shoul close the deal and take nuri sahin on aseason long loan and if hes good enough to make the starting line up we should buy him in the 2013/14 season for 10m

For further concise, balanced comment and analysis on the week's news, try The Week magazine. Subscribe today and get 6 issues completely free.