Arsenal sign Cazorla and join Liverpool in Matias Suarez hunt
Premier League clubs eye Belgian as Juventus give up on RVP and Man Utd chase Usain Bolt
THE NEWS that Matias Suarez's move to CSKA Moscow has died a death has put both Arsenal and Liverpool on alert. According to Talksport the Anderlecht striker had been on the brink of joining the Russian outfit in a £11.3m deal but that was before the 24-year-old Suarez failed a medical.
Why he failed isn't clear, but it doesn't appear to have deterred either of the Premier League clubs. Talksport reports that Suarez, who collected the Belgian player of the year award last season, has been on Arsenal's radar for a while but it's believed new Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is particularly keen on Suarez (no relation to Luis) and an offer could be in the pipeline.
Meanwhile the Gunners have finally wrapped up the signing of Santi Cazorla with the 27-year-old Spanish international flying to Germany on Monday to link up with the Arsenal squad. The Daily Mail reports that Cazorla has finalised his £16.5m transfer having already joined the Gunners at their German training camp as the two clubs ironed the details of the move. He could now make his debut in a friendly against Cologne on Saturday.
Interestingly, Robin van Persie jetted out to the camp in Germany but there was no sign of Danish striker Nicklas Bendtner or French defender Sebastian Squillaci.
And that brings us to Transfer Talk's daily RVP update. Today's news concerns Juventus, who have either accepted defeat in their pursuit of the Arsenal striker or are upping the ante. As usual it all depends on who you listen to.
The Daily Mail would have us believe that Juventus have given up hope of signing the striker (yet again) and have instead switched their attentions to Liverpool's Luis Suarez.
Not so, says Sky Sports which "understands" that Juventus would "love" to pair Suarez with Van Persie in what would be a "dream" attack. Dream could well be the operative word in that scenario, particularly as Suarez today signed a new long-term contract with Liverpool.
Meanwhile, website Here Is The City says that a move to Manchester City could still be on, as Roberto Mancini has a track record of playing mind games. It says his apparent despair at failing to sign the striker is just a clever ploy to apply pressure on City to release funds.
French sports daily L'Equipe claims that Chelsea are a step closer to getting their hands on Spanish right-back Cesar Azpilicueta. Marseille president Vincent Labrune has revealed to the paper that he's had a "serious approach" from the Blues after they first expressed an interest last month. That would make sense as the European champs are on the hunt for a new right-back after releasing Jose Bosingwa at the end of last season.
The 23-year-old Azpilicueta has been on the brink of the Spanish national squad for a couple of seasons but has yet to make the breakthrough and it's believed he wants a move to the Bridge in the hope that it will enhance his international prospects.
The Metro says that Daniele De Rossi is being "chased" by City manager Roberto Mancini. The 29-year-old midfielder has been linked with the Sky Blues for over a year and there was a time last summer when a deal seemed to be on the cards. That came to naught. Now the Metro reckons a move for the Italian international is "back on the agenda".
Roma are apparently open to offers but only if those offers are in the region of £20m. For his part, De Rossi has is said to have told City officials "he would relish the opportunity" of playing at the Etihad, but only if he is paid the same as the club's top earners and given a four-year contract.
Goal.com reports that QPR and West Ham are going head-to-head in a bid to sign Jermaine Jenas. The Tottenham midfielder is deemed surplus to requirements by new Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas and goal.com claims the 29-year-old will choose either the Hammers or Rangers by the end of the week.
QPR are rumoured to be keenest to sign the former England playmaker, with manager Mark Hughes confident of persuading owner Tony Fernandes to open the purse strings once more despite a busy summer in the transfer market.
And finally, as they say before the ludicrous story at the end of the TV news programmes, The Sun reports that Usain Bolt has been using his stay in the UK to try and set up a trial with Manchester United. The Jamaican sprinter has expressed a desire to play for Alex Ferguson and yesterday he was sent a tweet by Rio Ferdinand, which read: “If you want that trial at Man Utd shout me, I’ll speak to the boss!! Well done in 100m.” ·