Van Persie joins Man Utd as Barca agree price for Alex Song

Robin van Persie - Arsenal

Could Javier Hernandez be heading to Arsenal as part of RVP deal? Miralles set for Everton

BY Bill Mann LAST UPDATED AT 07:07 ON Thu 16 Aug 2012

THE DEAL has been done and all that now remains is for Robin van Persie to pass his medical and he'll officially be a Manchester United player. A brief statement released late on Wednesday night on the official Arsenal website announced that the "club can confirm that terms have been agreed for the transfer of Robin van Persie to Manchester United".

A similar statement was posted on United's website with the club saying more information "will be made in due course", presumably after today's medical.

The news is carried by all the papers, with speculation rife as to how much United have agreed to pay Arsenal for the 29-year-old Dutchman. The Guardian says Van Persie was sold for £23m and quotes Wenger as saying on French TV last night: "We are sad to lose a player of his quality but he had one year left on his contract so we had no choice."

The Daily Mirror claims that Van Persie went for £24m and that the Dutchman will receive £200,000-a-week for the duration of his four-year contract.

Describing the signing as "a formidable statement of intent from United", the Mirror says Arsenal will be quietly chuffed at the size of the deal for a player in his 30th year with a long history of injury.

In addition, says the paper, United's Mexican striker Javier Hernandez "could move the other way to Arsenal". Apparently Hernandez wants more game time and will be dismayed at the prospect of continuing in the shadow of Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck and now Van Persie.

But Metro claims that Wenger is not looking to buy another striker to replace Van Persie. After news of the Dutchman's departure broke he apparently told French TV that new arrivals Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud were bought to "offset the departure" of RVP.

Indeed, the paper adds that the Gunners boss is actually keen to get rid of some of his remaining strikers, with Nicklas Bendtner and Park Chu-Young still being ushered towards the exit.

Presumably that means Wenger won't be upset by a report on Talksport claiming that Everton have beaten the Gunners to the hand of Kevin Mirallas. The 24-year-old Olympiakos frontman was linked with the Gunners earlier in the week but Talksport claims the Toffees have nabbed the striker "from under the noses of Arsenal".

It's believed Everton have paid the Greek club £6m for the Belgian goal-getter and Mirallas is expected to arrive on Merseyside to complete a medical and finalise terms. Mirallas netted 34 times for Olympiakos last season and although Arsenal had allegedly held talks with the player's agent he's plumped for Everton.

Meanwhile Arsenal fans may also be concerned to hear that, according to Goal.com, Barcelona are on the brink of signing midfielder Alex Song after a "breakthrough" in talks between the two clubs.

Apparently, the Catalan club had initially refused to meet Arsenal's £15m valuation of the player, but Goal says that the Spanish giants have now agreed to stump up the cash and Song will follow in the footsteps of Thierry Henry, Alexander Hleb and Cesc Fabregas.

The website notes that the Song and Van Persie fees combined leave Wenger with a warchest of £39m, more than enough to find a replacement.

Still with Arsenal and Wellington Silva has been farmed out to Spanish second division side Ponferradina. The Brazilian teenager arrived at the Emirates from Fluminense in 2010 but clearly Wenger believes the 19-year-old needs fine-tuning before he's ready for the Premier League.

Last season Silva had spells at Spanish teams Levante and Alcoyano and Spanish rag AS reports that Arsenal have struck up an understanding with Ponferradina whereby they'll take all the Gunners' waifs and strays. Pack your bags, Marouane.

Elsewhere the Metro says that Malaga haven't finished selling off their prize assets in a bid to stave off liquidation. The Spanish club recently offloaded Santi Cazorla to Arsenal and Solomon Rondon to Rubin Kazan of the Russian Premier League. Now the Metro claims that Tottenham and Manchester United are both eyeing up young striker Isco.

The 20-year-old joined Malaga from Valencia last year, and is being closely monitored by Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas. He sees Isco as a replacement for Luka Modric, in the throes of joining Real Madrid, and his £12m price tag is within the Lilywhites' reach.

United are also interested and have apparently sounded out Isco's agent about a possible move to Old Trafford. Surely they're not making provisions in case a certain Dutchman gets injured? · 

Disqus - noscript

Good deal done and dusted. huh? I wish Van Pesre an injury-free spell at ManU. It's better to give more to Fergie than to give to Mancini. Unfortunately though, RVP won't ever be remembered by Arsenal and their followers as one of their legends.

For further concise, balanced comment and analysis on the week's news, try The Week magazine. Subscribe today and get 6 issues completely free.