Song out, Sahin in at Arsenal, Kaka linked to Man Utd move

Sahin arrives on loan at the Emirates to replace Song, as Real Madrid also try to offload Kaka

BY Bill Mann LAST UPDATED AT 10:23 ON Mon 20 Aug 2012

ARSENAL are expected to confirm today that they have signed Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin on loan for the rest of the season. The Gunners have been linked to the 23-year-old Turkish international for months and the Daily Mail is just one of the papers to report the news that Sahin has agreed to join them.

Liverpool had been chasing the Real playmaker but with the Reds unable to offer him Champions League football it's Arsenal who have won his hand. Apparently the Spanish giants had wanted Sahin to accept Liverpool's loan offer as it was larger than Arsenal's but the Turkish tyro wouldn't be swayed and Arsenal are reportedly set to make an official announcement later today.

The arrival of Sahin will offset the imminent departure of Alex Song. Arsenal posted a brief message on their website on Saturday announcing a deal had been struck with Barcelona and further details are expected within the next 24 hours.

But enough of Arsenal, its all go at Manchester United as they contemplate taking Brazilian Kaka on loan for the season. The once-great Brazilian, whose star has waned dramatically in recent seasons, is now deemed surplus to requirements at Real Madrid as they prepare for the arrival of Luka Modric and Jose Mourinho wants to farm him out on loan for a season.

According to the Daily Mail, Old Trafford is his most likely destination, although there are concerns about his form, fitness and salary. Kaka was once regarded as the best player in the world, but he is no longer even in the Brazil squad and with the likes of Xabi Alonso, Lassana Diarra, Angel de Maria and Mesut Ozil in front of him in the pecking order at the Bernabeu he is available for a new challenge.

Still with United and a rather less glamorous signing has arrived at Old Trafford in the form of Dutch defender Alexander Buttner, who is set to join for £3.9m after completing his medical.

Buttner may not be as well-known as Kaka but he sounds more entertaining. As he prepared to fly to Manchester he told reporters: "If you told me a week ago that I would be playing for Manchester United with Robin van Persie, I would have driven you straight to the madhouse."

The Sun claims that Sunderland, who held the Gunners to a goalless draw on the first day of the new Premier League season, are about to launch a "shock £10 million raid" for Adam Johnson.

The England winger has been unsettled at Manchester City for much of this year and Sunderland first enquired about a loan deal. When that was rejected the Sun says Black Cats boss Martin O'Neill offered to take the 25-year-old England international on a full-time basis.

That could be more to the liking of Sky Blues manager Roberto Mancini and it's believed a five-year deal will be agreed between the two clubs this week. Johnson, who earns £75,000 a week at City, joined City from Middlesbrough and is said to be eager to return to his native northeast.

According to the Express the reason Mancini is happy to see Johnson leave is because he has his heart set on Swansea winger Scott Sinclair. Sinclair, who scored in Swansea's 5-0 rout of QPR on Saturday, has grown in stature this year and the Express says Manchester City will make a bid for the 23-year-old this week.

And Mancini hasn't given up the ghost on Roma midfielder Daniele de Rossi as he looks to shore up his squad in the wake of Manchester United's capture of Robin van Persie last week.

But Mancini, who saw his side beat Southampton 3-2 on Sunday, is interested first and foremost in Sinclair and the Express reckon a deal will be done this week – providing City offer in excess of £5m for the former Chelsea man.

One of the longest-drawn out sagas in the history of Transfer Talk will hopefully reach its merciful conclusion this week with Luka Modric finally leaving Tottenham. The truculent Croatian midfielder has been angling for a move from the Lane for 13 months, with Chelsea offering to take him this time last year. Nothing came of that, however, but the Mirror is adamant Modric will get his wish to join Real Madrid in the next few days.

He didn't travel to Newcastle on Saturday with the Tottenham squad, and the Mirror says Madrid officials are in London to discuss terms with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy before flying Modric to Spain for a medical. Apparently Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas is "desperate" to cash in on Modric so he can wrap up the signing of Emmanuel Adebayor from Manchester City and also make a big bid for Fulham's Moussa Dembele.

Elsewhere the Daily Mail claims that Manchester United haven't finished their summer shopping spree and are poised to snatch England left-back Leighton Baines from Everton before the transfer window shuts on August 31. The Toffees are demanding £17m for Baines and the Mail says United boss Alex Ferguson will splash the cash such is his determination to wrest the Premier League title back from City.

Still with Everton and the Merseyside club have completed the signing of Kevin Mirallas from Olympiakos for a fee believed to be in the region of £6m. The BBC reports that the 24-year-old striker has agreed a four-year deal with Everton though he won't be available to play against Manchester United tonight. "I am very happy because Everton is a big club and for me it's a very good opportunity," said the Belgian frontman. · 

For further concise, balanced comment and analysis on the week's news, try The Week magazine. Subscribe today and get 6 issues completely free.