Sahin heads for Liverpool but Arsenal hint at new arrivals
Sahin saga reaches a conclusion as Chelsea snap up Moses and Azpilicueta
SOMEWHERE in north London there is probably an Arsenal fan walking around in a shirt with the word Sahin printed on the back. It looks like it will be something of a collectors item after Turkish midfielder Nuri Sahin moved closer to a loan move to Liverpool, two days after some of the more excitable members of the media announced that he was an Arsenal player.
According to Goal.com the Real Madrid midfielder is expected at Liverpool's Melwood training ground today for a medical. It shouldn't present a problem for him, we were told on Wednesday that he had passed one at the Emirates.
The website also claims that he would be unveiled as a Liverpool player before Saturday's Premier League matches kick off.
The apparent loss of Sahin does not spell the end for Arsenal though. Manager Arsene Wenger told the club's official website today that he was still hoping to sign some players in the final week of the transfer window. "We are still in the market in some positions," he said, adding: "We will only take players who have something special. We believe we have a very strong team and if we find the special player, we will do it."
According to ESPN, Wenger had good news for the Gunners faithful and revealed that Nicklas Bendtner was set to leave the club before the end of the transfer window.
Arsenal may be promising jam tomorrow for their fans, but those who follow Chelsea have jam today. At the fifth time of asking, the Blues have finally snared Victor Moses. A statement released on Wigan's official website late last night confirmed that the club has accepted the Blues' latest offer for the 21-year-old winger.
"A fifth bid has today finally met the valuation and terms set by Wigan Athletic and been accepted," ran the statement. "The player has been given permission to speak with Chelsea."
It's believed that Wigan had refused all previous demands to sell the Nigerian international until Chelsea stumped up the £9 million asking price. The clincher appears to have been Moses's performance for Wigan against Chelsea last Sunday, a display that won high praise from Chelsea boss Robert Di Matteo.
Meanwhile the Blues have also snared Cesar Azpilicueta, the Spanish right-back who has moved to Stamford Bridge for a fee of round £7million after a summer-long chase.
The news must come as a bit of a shock for Marseille fans after club president Vincent Labrune has declared Chelsea still had work to do if they were to win his hand. The full-back was first linked to the Blues earlier in the week but Labrune told French rag La Marseillaise that the 22-year-old was staying where he was unless the European champions came up with some more readies.
"I do not know who started this story, but they are totally wrong. It surely comes from agents that have an interest in the deal," he added, wrongly.
Talking of agents, the man with Joey Barton's best interests at heart has revealed his client is desperate to swap QPR for Marseille. "Joey Barton wants to play for OM [Olympique Marseille] next season," declared agent Willie McKay in a chat with French broadcaster RMC. "We're in negotiations, but nothing is finished at the moment."
The 29-year-old Barton, currently serving a 12-game Premier League ban for terrorising a trio of Manchester City players on the last day of the 2011-12 season, has been linked with a move to France for a couple of weeks but McKay told RMC he couldn't reveal the extent of the negotiations with Marseille "out of respect" to the club.
Talksport reports that Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas has denied he'll be making a play for Internacional striker Leandro Damiao. The Lilywhites were said to have expressed an interest in bringing the 23-year-old Damiao to the Lane earlier in the year, but that was when Harry Redknapp was the gaffer.
Now the new man at the helm has told reporters that having recently signed Emmanuel Adebayor, he won't be chasing the South American. "Damiao is obviously a fantastic player," explained Villas-Boas. "But he is not our prospect at the moment because we are closed with what we are trying to do on the striker situation."
Finally Fulham have made an official complaint to the Premier League concerning Liverpool's flirtation with the Cottagers' Clint Dempsey. The BBC says the cause of Fulham's fury is the statement that appeared on the Fenway Sports Group [Liverpool's owners] website in July claiming the 29-year-old midfielder-cum-forward had signed for the Merseyside club.
Dempsey has been left out of Fulham's squad to face Manchester United tomorrow and while Fulham are said to be resigned to losing him, the London club is angry that Liverpool have yet to make a formal approach.