Arsenal chase Afellay but miss out on Niang as Lansbury leaves
A new Dutchman to join the Gunners? Attacking midfielder wants to start again beyond Camp Nou
HAVING turned down the chance to sign Nuri Sahin from Real Madrid on loan, Arsenal are reportedly in line to snap up Dutch international Ibrahim Afellay on a short-term deal from Barcelona.
Speaking on Dutch football show Studio Voetbal, Afellay's agent Rob Jansen revealed that his client is seeking a move away from the Camp Nou. That will be music to the ears of Arsenal, who have long been linked with the 26-year-old attacking midfielder.
Afellay arrived at Barcelona at the start of January 2011 but a niggling knee injury has restricted his game time. Now Jansen has admitted Afellay wants to relaunch his career away from Spain. "We are talking about a loan move here," he told Studio Voetbal. "It all depends on Barcelona though… we are in talks with several clubs."
Tottenham, Liverpool and Newcastle are believed to have expressed an interest in the Dutchman, as have Inter Milan, but Arsenal are the strongest contenders to sign Afellay.
Meanwhile the Gunners are also said to be stalking Ajax left-back Nicolai Boilesen. The 20-year-old Danish international is apparently being chased by Arsenal and Southampton with Danish website ekstrabladet.dk claiming the Saints have already offered the Dutch club £5m.
Are Arsenal about to come in with a bid of their own? As yet the young defender is pleading ignorance, saying: "I have not heard anything about it yet. Someone from the Dutch press told me about it 10 minutes ago that is all I know right now… but I am very flattered if it is true."
One player who won't be heading to the Emirates is much sought-after striker M'Baye Niang. The 17-year-old Caen forward had a trial at Arsenal earlier this summer and so impressed Arsene Wenger that he put in a bid for the player, however it was turned down and the teenage sensation has now joined AC Milan.
Goal reports that his transfer has been finalised and even suggests that the disappointment of missing out on the striker could be tempered if the Italian giants also decided to take Nicklas Bendtner off Wenger's hands.
And talking of players surplus to requirements at Arsenal, it seems that the Gunners have decided to offload England under-21 international Henri Lansbury to Nottingham Forest for £1m, according to The Daily Telegraph. Lansbury has been with Arsenal since the age of nine, but his fate will not come as a surprise after he spent the last two seasons out on loan.
The Metro reports that Newcastle United are "standing firm" over Yohan Cabaye and Cheick Tiote. Both players are allegedly being targeted by Arsenal in the final week of the transfer window, with Manchester City also sniffing around Magpies defender Fabricio Coloccini.
But Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is quoted by the Metro as saying: "We want to avoid losing any of our big players [and] as far as I'm aware, we haven't had phone calls about any of our players."
Newcastle might be hard pressed, however, to resist the sort of offers apparently being prepared by their Premier League rivals. Arsenal are apparently about to blow the £24m made from selling Robin van Persie to Manchester United on a joint offer for Tiote and Cabaye, while City are likely to put an £18m bid on the table for the 30-year-old Coloccini having recently missed out on landing Liverpool's Daniel Agger.
At last! Luka Modric has finally left Tottenham, ending the most tedious transfer saga since the tug-of-war between Arsenal and Barcelona over Cesc Fabregas. The Lilywhites posted a message on their official website on Monday afternoon, announcing that it had signed "a partnership agreement with Real Madrid FC and reached agreement for the transfer of Luka Modric, subject to medical, to the Spanish club."
Real president Florentino Perez Rodriguez expressed his satisfaction at the agreement, saying: "We are delighted to welcome Luka". It's understood the Croatian playmaker has signed a five-year deal and the transfer will net Spurs £33m.
Finally, The Sun says Chelsea have slapped a £25m price tag on young striker Daniel Sturridge. The 22-year-old has become increasingly concerned in recent months at his lack of first-team opportunities at the Bridge, and is open to a move away from west London.
But the Blues' asking price is likely to be too much for Liverpool and Spurs – both reportedly keen on the player– and Sturridge is said to be "far from impressed" by the valuation, fearing it will result in him staying at the club until his contract expires in two years.