Ronaldo puts big clubs on alert after Real Madrid tantrum

Portuguese winger says he is 'sad' at the Bernabeu, hours after transfer window shuts

LAST UPDATED AT 07:22 ON Tue 4 Sep 2012

SUPERSTAR Cristiano Ronaldo has chosen a pretty strange time of year to make it clear that he is unhappy with life at Real Madrid. On the weekend that the transfer window slammed shut across most of Europe the world's most expensive footballer indicated that he might fancy a move away from the Bernabeu.

The prima donna Portuguese refused to celebrate after scoring for Real Madrid at the weekend and afterwards announced that he was "sad" with life at the Spanish champions. "The people here know why," he added, ominously.

It could be a trademark tantrum from the former Manchester United winger or it could spell the start of a messy divorce, which would certainly help the headline writers now that the transfer market is shut until January.

The Daily Mail knows which side its bread is buttered and gleefully report that the richest clubs in Europe, or rather Chelsea and Manchester City, are now on alert.

Conveniently for the British press, Paris Saint Germain, the only other club that could afford the reported £100m buy-out clause and £1m a month salary that Ronaldo commands, have ruled themselves out of the running. The French club say they are happy with Zlatan Ibrahimovich and have no desire to saddle themselves with two outlandish egos.

Teenage sensation Liam Moore is being watched by both Arsenal and Manchester United following a string of impressive performances for Leicester City. The Metro reports that the 19-year-old defender was given the once-over by Arsenal scouts at the weekend, and apparently they made a favourable report to Arsene Wenger in the wake of the Foxes’ 1-0 defeat of Blackpool.

In recent weeks United have been linked with Moore, a centre-back who the Metro says is equally comfortable playing on the right or in midfield. But Arsenal have signalled their interest in the youngster and it’s believed the Gunners will track Moore’s progress in the coming months.

If the England Under-19 star continues to develop at Filbert Street the Metro claims an offer is likely to be forthcoming in January with Leicester reportedly valuing their prodigy “at around £5m”.

Leicester was where Emile Heskey began his professional career in 1994 and the former England frontman believes he’s still got something to offer the world of football. Currently without a club, the 34-year-old is a free agent and eligible to sign a contract despite the closure of the summer transfer window last week.

In an interview with Sky Sports Heskey declares himself to be to “feel as fit and hungry as I have done in a long time”. The former Aston Villa striker added that he “did receive a number of offers during the transfer window but didn't feel like any of them were the right opportunity for me”.

Asked if he was hopeful of securing gainful employment in the coming days Heskey replied in the affirmative. Sky speculates that he “may be holding out for a surprise offer” from Liverpool. Heskey made over 150 appearances for the Reds during a four-year spell at Anfield from 2000 to 2004.
 
Goal.com claims an exclusive with the news that Manchester City’s Kolo Toure is “hopeful” of completing a move to Galatasaray before the Turkish transfer window closes on Wednesday. The 31-year-old Ivorian centre-back apparently doesn’t believe he has much of a future at the Etihad and is looking to seal a deal with the Turks in the next 36 hours.  

Galatasary coach Fatih Terim is quoted as saying: “We're interested in Kolo Toure from Manchester City… we have to complete this transfer before UEFA Champions League list deadline." The Turkish club are in the same Champions League pool as Manchester United so if the former Arsenal defender does make the move he’ll back in the northwest in a couple of weeks.
 
One player who’s already made the move from the Premier League to Turkey is Raul Meireles. The 29-year-old midfielder passed a Fenerbahce medical on Monday and a four-year deal was agreed later in the day according to the BBC, who add that the Blues received £8m from the transfer.

Finally, a Transfer Talk regular has finally got himself a deal after months of idle - not to mention tedious - gossip. In the past year Porto striker Hulk has been linked with Chelsea, Manchester City and just about every other club going, but the Brazilian has signed terms with Zenit St Petersburg.

The Daily Mail is one of several papers to report the deal, saying the Russian club paid an “eye-watering £39.5m” for the 26-year-old. Earlier in the summer Hulk had stated his desire to play in either Spain or England, but no club in those countries was prepared to meet Porto’s asking price and so Zenit have stepped in to the breach. · 

For further concise, balanced comment and analysis on the week's news, try The Week magazine. Subscribe today and get 6 issues completely free.