Arsenal want Bendtner back, Arshavin to fight for his place
'I believe in Bendtner' says Wenger, as Arshavin turns down move away from London
SAY WHAT you like about Andrey Arshavin but the Russian striker has done what Robin van Persie failed to do and pledged his loyalty to Arsenal. According to ESPN, 31-year-old was approached by Dinamo Moscow on Thursday but rejected the chance to return to his homeland in order to “stay at Arsenal to fight for his place in the first team”.
Chances for Arshavin to recapture the form he first showed when he moved to the Emirates in 2009 have been limited in recent months, but he still believes he can win back his place in the starting XI. "I wanted to add this player to the team, but Andrey said no to Dinamo,” club manager Dan Petrescu is quoted as saying.
Arshavin is not the only unpopular Gunner who could have a future at the Emirates. Arsene Wenger has done little to endear himself to the Arsenal faithful by revealing that the only reason Nicklas Bendtner is on loan at Juventus is because he would not sell him outright. Astonishingly, he wants him back in red and white next season, according to the Daily Mail.
In an interview with Corriere dello Sport Wenger, who may have been out in the late summer sun for too long, said: "We believe in him and that is why we only gave him to Juventus on loan. I think he can resolve his problems with us and prove himself. We believe in him."
Apparently Bendtner, who has not played for Arsenal for over a year and failed to shine while on loan at Sunderland last term, is still a "top player" in Wenger's eyes.
The most fanciful transfer rumour of the day comes, surprisingly, from TalkSport, which claims that Cesc Fabregas could be farmed out on loan to AC Milan from Barcelona after expressing dissatisfaction with life on the bench at the Camp Nou.
The website claims that AC Milan could try and get their man in January. The story also acknowledges the fact that Fabregas has also said he wants to stay at Barcelona, which makes the likelihood of him leaving pretty remote.
In other news Sky Sports reports that Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho is refusing to answer questions about the future of Cristiano Ronaldo. Earlier in the week the Portuguese star admitted he was “sad” at the Bernabeu, prompting speculation he was seeking a way out of the Spanish giants.
But when a reporter broached the issue with Mourinho at a press conferred he received a frosty response from the Special One. “I am here to talk about everything and I have responded with in-depth answers and with sincerity, but do not ask me about Cristiano. You should understand me. I ask that you do not insist.”
Meanwhile Sky reports that Real president Florentino Perez has brushed off the speculation surrounding Ronaldo, telling the Marca newspaper: "If he wanted to leave he'd have said so when the transfer window was still open.”
Elsewhere, Atletico Madrid striker Falcao has contradicted his dad by insisting he’s happy in Spain. As we reported yesterday, the frontman’s father hinted that his son might be better off somewhere other than Madrid, leading to rumours linking him with a move to either Chelsea or Manchester City.
But Talksport reports that Falcao wants to remain in La Liga, taking to Twitter to put his dad straight: "Just so you are clear: My dream is to continue to win titles with Atletico and help Colombia qualify for the World Cup.”
Finally, Sky Sports reports that Tottenham midfielder David Bentley has joined Russian outfit FC Rostov on loan until the New Year. The 27-year-old former Arsenal academy player made the switch shortly before the Russian transfer window closed last night having found himself surplus to requirements in recent months at the Lane.
Bentley, who joined Tottenham from Blackburn in a £15m deal in the summer of 2008, joins former Liverpool and Blackburn frontman Florent Sinama Pongolle at Rostov. ·