Referee Mike Jones in dock as Everton are held to 2-2 draw

Sep 18, 2012
Bill Mann

Pulsating game ends in draw after Fellaini and Anichebe goals are disallowed, to David Moyes' fury

Getty Images

Everton 2 Newcastle United 2. A thrilling finale to a dramatic encounter at Goodison Park ended with Demba Ba levelling for Newcastle on the stroke of full-time.

Just two minutes earlier Victor Anichebe was the toast of Everton as the substitute latched on to Steven Pienaar's pass to fire past Steve Harper in the Newcastle goal. But Ba's last-gasp leveller denied Everton a share of the spoils on a night when the Premier League was at its most pulsating.

The hosts appeared to have taken the lead early on when Harper could only parry Marouane Fellaini's effort and Nikica Jelavic poked home the rebound, only for the offside flag to be hoisted.

The Croatian striker's night didn't improve when he later ran into a post and damaged his knee, forcing him off just before half-time. At least by then Jelavic's Everton side were in the lead, Leighton Baines beating Harper with a fierce low shot after Pienaar's deft flick.
It was nothing less than Everton deserved after a dominant first half display. But four minutes after the break Newcastle were level when Ba, on as a second-half substitute, ran on to Yohan Cabaye's cross and gave Everton keeper Tim Howard no chance.

Then came two incidents that left Everton manager David Moyes livid. First Fellaini put the ball in the Newcastle net after more good work from Pienaar, but once more Mike Jones and his assistants signalled offside. Replays suggested the goal was good.

If that wasn't bad enough, Everton thought they'd scored 12 minutes from time thanks to the head of Victor Anichebe. Everyone wearing a blue shirt in Goodison cried ‘Goal!' but referee Jones judged that the ball hadn't crossed the line. Television proved otherwise, as the Daily Mirror reports.

A stony-faced Moyes then watched from the touchline as the match reached its dramatic denouement with two goals in the final three minutes. "If you're the linesman running the line, you'd hope he sees the ball cross the line, that's their job," said Moyes later. "There are two goals they missed, but I can't get them back. I don't know how the linesman missed them."

Asked if he'd given the officials a piece of his mind, Moyes replied: "I had a word there, not ranting and raving, I just said, 'Hey you missed two goals'… What can I do about it? There's nothing you can do about it."

Even Moyes's opposite number, Alan Pardew, conceded that Anichebe's goal should have stood. The Newcastle manager watched the game from the stand as he began the first of a two-game ban for shoving an official on the opening day of the season.

"The one over the line was definitely in," said Pardew. "I've said all along, as many Premier League managers have, that technology must come in. It's cost Everton a crucial goal."

Had Anichebe's goal stood, Everton would now be lying third in the league, level on points with Manchester United. As it is, the Toffees are seventh and referee Mike Jones won't be welcome at Goodison for many months to come.

Sign up for our daily newsletter

Disqus - noscript

the linesman wassat fault for both goals and should be demoted to the lower leagues, maybe someone could look at his record regarding mistakes he's made at let people know

No mention of when Newcastle's Ben Arfa and Ba were bearing down on Howard and Jones called play back for a free-kick to Newcastle, preventing an almost certain goal. Yes, Everton were twice hard done by but that isn't the full picture. And the last paragraph?? Had Anichebe's header counted then Everton would be lying third in the league? So the game would have ended there and then would it? This article is very poorly thought out and factually inaccurate. The incident with Jelavic colliding with the post was the same one as his offside goal, not "later on" and Ba's first equaliser came from a through-pass by Cabaye, not from a cross.

And no mention of the impressive sporting behaviour when Steve Harper stopped the ref booking an Everton player - positively Olympian, though not fitting the narrative of "Olympics good, Football bad"

Ben Arfa and Ba bearing down would have been a moot point had the goal stood because there wouldve been no break away- ifs and buts as to whether we wouldve won had they counted- I believe we would as convinced the late goal meant Newcastle throwing everyone forward may not have occurred had earlier goals gone in as more time=less panic

yes because players have that power. Of course not booking a player really changed the game.... on a par with 2 goals isn't it.

yes david but had those two goals counted the bar-codes would have had there tails between there legs an there heads would have dropped as they say david goals change games. p,s and yes everton would now
be 3rd