Wage dispute puts Wesley Sneijder on Man United radar
Dutch midfielder won't play again for Inter Milan unless he agrees to a pay cut...
A WAGE DISPUTE between Wesley Sneijder and his club Inter Milan could allow Manchester United to poach the Dutch midfielder during the January transfer window.
The Daily Mail says Sneijder, who is paid £200,000 per week, has been told he will not play for the Italian side again unless he agrees to take part in Inter Milan’s round of austerity measures which have already resulted in the sale of goalkeeper Julio Cesar to QPR this summer.
Club director Marco Branca, who says Sneijder must accept a contract with reduced wages, issued a statement saying: “We’ve been negotiating with him for a while and we need to modify his contract.
“We want to give him time to think about it and so we won’t be using him for the time being.”
Given that extravagant wage demands were cited as a reason for Alex Ferguson vetoing a summer bid for Sneijder, Man United fans must hope that the Dutchman has a penchant for rainy weather.
Meanwhile, with Arsenal fans now in open rebellion against Arsene Wenger, the Gunners boss is reportedly eyeing up Liverpool's out-of-favour winger Stewart Downing in the January transfer window in a bid to keep the peace.
According to the Daily Mail, Arsenal will make a "shock £10 million move" for Downing and are confident the Reds will sell as he's no longer part of Brendan Rodgers's plans.
Since taking over the reins at Liverpool in the summer, Rodgers has made it clear Downing is at best a bit-part player at Anfield. Nonetheless the Mail says Wenger is convinced he has the technical ability to make a fist of it at Arsenal and would provide balance to his team on the left flank. In addition, Downing has experience of playing at left-back, a position which has caused the Gunners more than a few anxious moments this season.
Though Downing was bought from Aston Villa for £20m by then Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish, it's believed the Reds will accept £10m so keen are they to sever ties with Downing. The Mail adds that an additional factor in any deal might be Theo Walcott; Liverpool are known to be monitoring the England winger's situation at the Emirates, and with the 23-year-old yet to sign a new deal, the Merseyside club might try and do swapsies.
Still with the Reds and Italy's CalcioMercato claims that they'll soon be offering £8m to Vitesse Arnhem for their striker Wilfried Bony. The 23-year-old Ivory Coast international is the top scorer in the Dutch Eredivisie this season with 14 goals, and his form has come to the attention of Rodgers. It's reported that the Liverpool boss views the £8m price tag as a "calculated risk", and will open up the purse strings in the New Year.
The Sun says that new QPR boss Harry Redknapp intends to lure David Beckham "back to the Premier League". Redknapp replaced Mark Hughes as boss of the Hoops on Saturday, and takes charge of his first match tomorrow against Sunderland. He was linked with a move for Beckham last year, when he was in charge at Spurs, and it seems he still believes the 37-year-old former England captain has what it takes to flourish at the highest level.
As for Becks, he announced last week that he'll be leaving LA Galaxy next month, and a move back to London could be just what he needs to wrap up his career. The Sun quotes Redknapp as saying of Goldenballs: "I'm sure he could still play in the Premier League… I haven't discussed it with the chairman at the moment so we'd have to look at that but David could still certainly be a great asset to anybody." ·