Arsenal to miss out on Cabaye, Pogba and a £25m keeper
More transfer woe for Arsene Wenger as PSG join hunt for French midfield target
AS ARSENAL prepare to face Fenerbahce tonight in the Champions League play-off first leg they do so in the knowledge that Paris Saint-Germain are ready to outbid them for Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye.
According to the Daily Mail, the wealthy French club are about to deliver another “transfer market blow” to Arsene Wenger by offering £20m for Cabaye. Arsenal tabled a £12m bid on Sunday, only to be told where to go by the Magpies, and now it appears PSG will blow the Gunners out of the water with an offer of their own.
Though the Mail says Newcastle chairman Mike Ashley and manager Alan Pardew “are virtually resigned” to losing the France star, the pair would apparently rather do business with PSG than with Arsenal. It’s rumoured that a delegation from Newcastle flew to Paris on Tuesday to meet Cabaye’s agent and PSG officials.
Another player who will not be joining the Emirates relegation scrap this season is former Manchester United youth player Paul Pogba, currently with Juventus.
Arsenal, predictably, failed to sign Pogba when he quit Old Trafford a year ago and now, after an impressive debut season in Italy, they have once again been warned off the 20-year-old Frenchman.
The Daily Telegraph notes that although Pogba is exactly the sort of hard tackling midfielder Arsenal need, Juventus director general Beppe Marotta was "unequivocal" over his future. "Forget about Pogba," he told Tuttosport. "We do not have the slightest intention of listening to any offer which may arrive for our midfielder."
Just to make things worse for Arsenal fans, Valencia have slapped a £25m price tag on their reserve goalkeeper Vicente Guaita. That represents around £1 for every goalkeeper Arsene Wenger has been linked with this summer.
The Daily Mail reports that Wenger was keen enough to open negotiations about a deal, but was told that his opening offer was - you guessed it - way too low. Valencia president Amadeo Salva added: "Guaita is a class keeper and we have no need to sell."
Down the road at White Hart Lane they actually know how to wrap up a transfer deal and today agreed personal terms with Anzhi Makhachkala star Willian. They will confirm his £30m transfer today, says the Evening Standard.
Moving west, and the Standard also reports that Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has admitted he “already has other targets in mind” if he fails to sign Wayne Rooney in the next fortnight. Apparently the Special One hasn’t called off the chase for the Manchester United frontman even though the club insists he’s staying put at Old Trafford.
With United boss David Moyes having a £28m offer for Everton pair Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini turned down earlier in the week, Chelsea are hopeful that the Red Devils will accept their £40m offer for Rooney so they can return to the Toffees with a new and improved bid.
But if United still say no, then the Standard claims Mourinho could swoop for Anzhi Makhachkala striker Samuel Eto’o, despite his £300,000-a-week wages. His representatives are rumoured to be meeting Chelsea this week for talks, and there is also the possibility that the Blues might try to prise Robert Lewandowski from Borussia Dortmund.
Asked about what he’ll do if Rooney eludes his grasp, Mourinho replied: “We have plan B and C, don’t ask me any names because it’s difficult to speak about players from other clubs.”
According to Talksport, Italian outfit Udinese have “dismissed claims” they are pursuing Juventus midfielder Luca Marrone. The 23-year-old has been linked to a £10m move to Everton in recent weeks but in the last few days Italian media suggested that Udinese are about to make a bold bid. But the club’s sporting director, Cristiano Giaretta, told Tuttomercatoweb: "There is no negotiation concerning this now and Udinese is not at all interested in Marrone and players with those characteristics."
The BBC reports that Liverpool have completed a loan deal for Aly Cissokho. The 25-year-old defender comes to Anfield from Valencia and is Liverpool’s fifth signing of the summer. "I think we have a great team and great fans and together we can achieve big things," said Cissokho, a left-back who made his only international appearance for France in 2010. ·