Arsenal to blow all £70m on Benzema, Ozil and Di Maria
Gooners face nail-biting end to transfer window as transfers depend on Real Madrid buying Bale
HAVING drawn the group of death in the Champions League, Arsenal are hoping to go into battle against Marseille, Napoli and Borussia Dortmund with a trio of Real Madrid players, claims the Daily Mail.
The paper says the Gunners are set to "blow their entire £70 million transfer budget" on Karim Benzema, Mesut Ozil and Angel Di Maria in a last ditch bid to add some quality to a threadbare squad. Apparently Arsenal have "opened talks" with representatives from the Spanish giants and have "received encouragement".
In recent weeks the three players have all pledged their allegiance to the Bernabeu but the Mail says Real will sell after committing £86 million to signing Gareth Bale from Tottenham. With that transfer still to be confirmed, it could be that Arsenal don't agree terms for the trio until Monday, the final day of the transfer window.
But the Metro reports that Turkish outfit Galatasaray are hoping to beat Arsenal to the hand of Angel Di Maria after opening talks with Real Madrid on Wednesday. It's said that Arsenal have tabled a £25m bid for the winger but that Galatasaray have offered to pay Madrid £28m.
With Madrid president Florentino Perez said to enjoy "a strong relationship" with Galatasaray, the Metro speculates that the Turkish club could beat Arsenal in the race to sign Di Maria.
One scrap of good news for Gooners, however, is the report that the club have finally got shot off Park Chu-young two years after he was part of Arsene Wenger's infamous "transfer trolley dash". The South Korean forward joined Arsenal from Monaco but has barely been seen on the pitch, and now Eurosport says a deal has been agreed between Arsenal and AS Saint-Étienne in France's Ligue 1.
Elsewhere and the agent of Shinji Kagawa says his client wants to stay at Old Trafford. In recent weeks speculation has been growing that the Japanese playmaker may be on his way out of Manchester United with Atletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund both interested, but in an interview with German football magazine Kicker, Kagawa's representative Thomas Kroth declared the midfielder was determined to make it in Manchester.
"Atletico had the information that a loan move is possible, but that's not true," said Kroth. "There's nothing to it. Shinji wants to stay in Manchester."
Finally, the Daily Star reports that United have failed in a third attempt to sign Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini from Everton with the Toffees rejecting a £36m joint bid on Thursday night. Earlier in the month United's first offer of £28m was dismissed as "derisory and insulting" by Everton and two further bids have also now been knocked back by the Merseyside club.
The Star says United boss David Moyes may give up on his attempt to bring left-back Baines to Old Trafford, but he could return in January for a fresh attempt to prise Fellaini from Goodison Park after he learned that the midfielder's £23.6m buy-out clause, which expired at the end of July, is reactivated when the winter transfer window opens. ·