Arsenal consider January bid for defender Lukasz Piszczek
Will Wenger mark his new contract with a splurge on Borussia Dortmund right back Piszczek?
WITH Arsenal reportedly set to offer Arsene Wenger a new contract as a reward for his stunning capture of Mesut Ozil last week, will the Gunners have reason to bestow more gifts on the Nutty Professor come January?
According to Talksport, Wenger has now got a taste for the transfer market and his next target is Lukasz Piszczek. The Borussia Dortmund right back is contracted to the club until 2017 but Wenger "remains interested" in the defender and a move could be made in the New Year.
What stalled Wenger last month was the fact that the 28-year-old Piszczek was undergoing hip surgery. Now the operation is over and the Polish international is on the mend, it’s claimed Wenger will monitor his progress this autumn before deciding whether to table an offer in January.
Talksport adds that "despite being linked with a move to the Emirates" the only thing on Piszczek’s mind at present is getting back on the pitch.
Meanwhile, Metro reports that Real Madrid aren’t done with strengthening their team and will making a play for Luis Suarez in January. Taking its cue from Spanish rag Marca, Metro says that Real boss Carlo Ancelotti is "planning a renewed effort" to sign the Uruguayan international after showing interest this summer.
Suarez, who scored twice for his country against Peru on Friday night, is aware of Real’s interest, as are Liverpool. The Reds refused to sell to Arsenal but apparently they would be more open to offers from a foreign club provided they stump up in the region of £50m for Suarez.
The Daily Star says that Newcastle United "are lining up a move" for Heerenveen and Iceland striker Alfred Finnbogason. It’s believed Heerenveen offered the 24-year-old Finnbogason to Newcastle in the summer for £5m, only for the Magpies to say no because they believed they could sign a better player.
But having failed to find such a player, the Star reckons Newcastle boss Alan Pardew will return to the Dutch club in January, particularly as Finnbogason has scored six goals in the first four games of the season – including a brace against Ajax.
Still with Newcastle and the Daily Mail says the Magpies could yet get their hands on Lyon striker Bafetimbi Gomis. The 28-year-old French international was on the brink of moving to the northeast last month but the move broke down in a disagreement over wages. However, Gomis has intimated he’s still eager to move to Newcastle and “a deal could yet happen in January”. ·