Arsenal in cut-price Benzema deal if Suarez joins Real Madrid
Liverpool striker will be off in January, and that could trigger Gunners swoop for French striker
THE saga of Luis Suarez continues. Reports over the weekend suggested that the Uruguayan hitman was still determined to quit Anfield in January, despite failing to engineer a move to pastures new over the summer. And the beneficiaries of his discontent could be his one-time suitors, Arsenal.
No, Suarez is not about to reinstigate his move to the Gunners, instead he has his sights set on a new beginning with Real Madrid, and Metro believes that the Spanish giants are prepared to meet the £50m price tag slapped on him by Reds boss Brendan Rodgers.
Why is this good news for Arsenal? Well, Metro goes on to claim that in order to fund their move for Suarez and make room for him in the squad, Madrid will jettison striker Karim Benzema for a cut-price £20m. And that is where Arsenal come into the equation. With former Real Madrid team mate Mesut Ozil already settled in at the Emirates, and international colleague Olivier Giroud leading the lines, Benzema would be mad to look anywhere else.
Polish striker Robert Lewandowski will be the centre of attention at Wembley on Tuesday, so it is no surprise that he features in Monday's gossip columns. The big Borussia Dortmund striker has been tipped to join Pep Guardiola at Bayern Munich, and it was widely accepted that he had agreed to a move at the end of the season.
But now it seems Lewandowski may have cold feet. He told the Daily Telegraph that claims he had agreed a deal with Bayern were down to a "misunderstanding" and even went as far as to issue what could be construed as a come-and-get-me plea, by telling the paper: "One day I would like to play in Premier League. It would be a great experience."
However, the Telegraph notes that Man United have cooled their interest in the player since David Moyes took over, while Man City's initial interest never went beyond an inquiry about his availablility last summer. Of course, that won't stop the rumours - particularly if he breaks English hearts at Wembley.
It's not often these days you hear the words 'Greek' and 'prolific' in the same sentence, but the Express has just done that in reporting the battle to land Konstantinos Mitroglou. The paper says that Arsenal and Liverpool are poised to rival Borussia Dortmund in the race to sign [the] prolific Greek striker, who's been on fire so far this season for Olympiakos.
The 25-year-old Greek goal machine has thumped four hat-tricks, including one against Anderlecht in the Champions League earlier this month.
Raised in Germany, Mitroglou's deadly finishing skills first came to the attention of Arsene Wenger when he scored against the Gunners in last season's Champions League. As a result the Nutty Professor is said to be keen on bringing Mitroglou to the Emirates as he looks to strengthen his perilously threadbare frontline.
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers also fancies a piece of the action but the Express says Arsenal have something working in their favour: Mitroglou, who began his career with German outfit Borussia Monchengladbach, currently plays alongside Gunners loanee Joel Campbell, and that could lead to a deal being struck between the two clubs.
According to the Daily Star Manchester United are looking to derail Arsenal's plan to sign Remy Cabella from Montpellier. Dubbed the 'new Zidane', probably by his agent, the 23-year-old Cabella has been on Wenger's radar ever since the Mediterranean club played Arsenal in the Champions League last season.
Described by the Star as one of the hottest prospects in France, the Montpellier midfielder has been in sparkling form this season, scoring five times and adding two assists in only eight matches.
As a result he's come to the attention of David Moyes and the United boss is said to be readying a £15m bid for Cabella. That's not likely to go down well in Montpellier where the club's optimistic president Louis Nicollin has told suitors the bidding starts for the playmaker at £85m.
The Daily Mail has it on good authority that Roberto Mancini is plotting a swoop on his old club for left-back Alexander Kolarov. Now in gainful employment with Turkish club Galatasaray after being sacked by the Sky Blues in the summer, Mancini is ready to offer £5m for a player the Mail describes as "unhappy" at the Etihad under new boss Manuel Pellegrini.
Mancini hopes to broker a deal the moment the transfer window opens in January and is cautiously optimistic that the Serbian international, who has less than two years on his contract, will be released by City. The Mail says that Muzzi Ozcan, the same agent who helped Galatasaray recruit Mancini, has already met the player's agent Giorgio de Giorgis in London. Further meetings are scheduled in November and the only dark cloud on the horizon for Mancini could be the alleged interest of Juventus.
Finally, the Mirror claims that Tottenham have been so overwhelmed by the heroics of Andros Townsend in inspiring England to a 4-1 thrashing of Montenegro on Friday that they will often the winger a "bumper new deal". Townsend's goalscoring debut in the crucial World Cup qualifier has made the Lilywhites realise that the 22-year-old current deal – a laughable £10,000-a-week - is bordering on the minimum wage and could lead to him being poached.
Consequently the Mirror says that Spurs will table a renewed contract that will see Townsend's salary increase to a slightly more respectable £2m-a-year. ·