Man Utd to offer Anderson in move for City target, Otamendi
Manchester clubs set to buy big at the back in January in bid to rein in Arsenal, who still want Cabaye
WITH Arsenal beginning to break away from their rivals at the top of the table, the Daily Star claims the two Manchester clubs will aim to rein in the Gunners in the second half of the season by going big in the January transfer market.
Apparently both clubs are after Porto centre-backs Eliaquim Mangala and Nicolas Otamendi (above)with the Star claiming Old Trafford chief executive Ed Woodward has confirmed that David Moyes' transfer priorities are a central defender and a left back.
The Red Devils are targeting Argentine star Otamendi with an offer of £25m likely to be forthcoming in the New Year. But City are also examining his credentials, as well as those of the 22-year-old Mangala. The young Frenchman has caught the eye of United and Chelsea in recent weeks, and with City now in the hunt, Porto are hoping to make as much as £40m from the player.
The Star reports that Rob Newman, City's 'international recruitment manager' (yes, that's actually a job) has recently been spotted loitering in Lisbon with a view to running an eye over the 25-year-old Otamendi, described by the paper as one of "Europe's most-wanted defenders". What might work in United's favour, however, are rumours suggesting Porto are interested in taking back their Brazilian midfielder Anderson, who they sold to Old Trafford for £17m six years ago.
Meanwhile the Sunday People reports that Manchester City are also after Real Madrid's £30m-rated star Sami Khedira. The German midfielder has a season and a half to go on his existing contract but Real's board don't want to see him bounce out of the Bernabeu on a free transfer in the summer of 2015. To that end they will consider offers next June and that has piqued the interest of the Sky Blues. But the People says that Real coach Carlo Ancelotti is a huge admirer of Khedira and the club will look to hang on to him by offering him a new two year deal with an annual salary of £3m, around £900,000 more than his current agreement.
Back in the red half of Manchester and Metro says Shinji Kagawa "wants to leave" Old Trafford in January to keep alive his dream of playing in next summer's World Cup. The 24-year-old Kagawa arrived at United in the summer of 2012 in a £17m deal from Borussia Dortmund. But he's struggled to nail down a regular starting spot at the club and the emergence of wonderkid Adnan Januzaj has further restricted his opportunities. Metro says that Kagawa will probably return to Germany, either to Dortmund or Wolfsburg.
One thing that we have learned from Arsenal's early season form is that with the likes of Jack Wilshere, Aaron Ramsey, Mesut Ozil, Santi Cazorla, Thomas Rosicky et al in the squad the Gunners have plenty of midfield talent at their disposal. But that does not mean there isn't room for a little bit more, says the Daily Star, as it reveals that Arsene Wenger will renew his pursuit of Newcastle's Yohan Cabaye in January.
The Gunners failed with a £10m bid in the summer and will go back to the Magpies with an improved offer after Christmas. However, the paper warns that Cabaye is also being targeted by Italian outfit Roma, who are now managed by Rudi Garcia, who worked with 27-year-old Cabaye when he was in charge of Lille.
West Ham's problems in front of goal are plain for all to see. The Hammers have managed eight goals in ten games so far this term and a concerned Sam Allardyce will try to lure former Hammers striker and current Chelsea bench-warmer Demba Ba back to Upton Park in the New Year, says the Daily Mirror. It's debatable whether signing Ba will help the Hammers, he has not scored since March.
However, the chances of Chelsea letting him go could be boosted if a report in the Daily Mail, claiming that Jose Mourinho will buy a new striker in January, is to be believed.
There is no word on targets, but the paper is certain that the search is on. "Mourinho's options will be limited in the transfer window, but Chelsea are determined to press on with plans to bring in another forward," it insists.
But there are some names in the hat... because, it's a welcome return to these pages for one of Transfer Talk's old favourites - Hulk, all 5ft 9in of him. The Brazilian beefcake has been linked to most clubs in the Premier League in recent years - except Hull, which is a shame as the Hulk at Hull would be a headline writer's dream.
Now according to Caughtoffside Spurs and Chelsea are eyeing up the Zenit St Petersburg striker. The 27-year-old moved to Russia from Porto last year in a £32m deal but he's failed to find his finest form for Zenit and rumours have emerged recently suggesting a January move to England is imminent, possibly to Chelsea or goal-shy Spurs. Asked about such a possibility, Hulk's agent, Teodoro Fonseca, refused to rule out a move, telling reporters: "I cannot comment. Hulk is still very young and has it all ahead of him." ·