Cardiff chaos: Mackay fails to show, Bellamy to take over?
Cardiff owner Tan has told Mackay he will sacked if he does not resign as 'civil war' breaks out
CRAIG BELLAMY could be in charge of Cardiff City for their game against his old club Liverpool on Saturday after the Welsh club's Malaysian owner Vincent Tan pulled the trigger on current boss Malky Mackay.
However, the club has insisted that Mackay will be in charge for the match at Anfield, despite not appearing at a pre-match press conference.
There were "farcical scenes" at Cardiff's training base this morning, reports the Daily Telegraph, as the media briefing went ahead without the manager following reports that Tan had told Mackay he would be fired unless he resigned.
"In Mackay's absence, assistant manager David Kerslake addressed a press conference that erupted in to a full scale battle with journalists demanding answers to why Mackay had not shown up," says the paper, which adds that Bellamy could be the man to take over. Reporters were banned from blogging and tweeting during the event, and camera crews were not allowed to film outside.
It seems that "civil war" has broken out at the Welsh club, says The Times. "Mackay has had a running battle with Tan that looks likely to reach a conclusion in the next 24 hours after the Malaysian businessman e-mailed his manager with a lengthy list of grievances," explains the paper. "Tan has previously sent strongly worded text messages to Mackay, and it was unclear last night whether he would be in charge for tomorrow's Barclays Premier League match away to Liverpool."
Tan is unhappy with the club's results, style of play and Mackay's transfer activity and had previously warned the Scot that he would not be given any funds in the January transfer window, although the manager said he wanted to bring in new players.
Earlier in the week Mackay made it clear he would not resign from his post, despite the breakdown of his relations with the Cardiff owner. Tan flies into the country from Malaysia tonight. ·