Deadline day: Kallstrom to Arsenal, Fabio, Zaha exit Man U
Clear out at Man United as Gunners draw a blank with Draxler, but Swedish midfielder spotted in London
IT'S FRIDAY and the last day of the transfer window, which means only one thing – more rumours flying around than Hugh Grant has love children. So far this month there haven't been many deals to shout about but that's likely to change in the next 12 hours as Arsene Wenger realises Nicklas Bentdner isn't the man to spearhead Arsenal's title challenge, and David Moyes searches for a player who knows how to take a penalty. As ever you can rely on Transfer Talk to keep you updated on the movers, the shakers and the panic purchases.
• First up comes the news from the Daily Mail that Arsenal "are in talks with Kim Kallstrom" over a shock deadline day move, with lunchtime reports that he had been seen at Arsenal's Colny training ground. Having seemingly drawn a blank with Schalke striker Julian Draxler, Arsenal are now pursing 31-year-old Spartak Moscow man. With Aaron Ramsey out for six weeks, the Gunners need some bolstering in the middle of the park and the Mail claims that the experienced Kallstrom – capped 108 times by Sweden – fits the bill. In addition he would only "cost the club a small fee". Arsene Wenger confirmed, "we are trying to bring one body in because of Ramsey's setback," and the BBC reports that he will join on loan for the rest of the season.
• Goal.com confirms that Cardiff City have signed Manchester United pair Fabio and Wilfried Zaha, the former on a permanent deal and the latter on loan. Brazilian defender Fabio failed to cut the mustard at Old Trafford and spent last season on loan at QPR, while England winger Zaha – an Alex Ferguson purchase last year – has never impressed new United manager David Moyes.
• According to Sky Sports Chelsea are "close" to completing the signing of Kurt Zouma from St Etienne. The 19-year-old defender is expected to sign for the Stamford Bridge outfit today before being loaned back to the French club for the remainder of the season. Sky reports that the teenager will pen a five-year deal with the Blues paying out £12.5m to the French club. which would make the Blues the biggest spenders in the transfer window so far. Zouma, linked to a number of clubs in recent weeks, is a France youth international who was a member of their Under-20 World Cup-winning squad last year.
• The BBC reports that Sunderland have wrapped up the signing of Scotland international Liam Bridcutt from Brighton and Hove Albion for an undisclosed fee. The 24-year-old midfielder has agreed a three-and-a-half-year deal with the Black Cats
• If the Daily Mirror is to be believed Liverpool are set to announce the capture of Yevhen Konoplyanka. Quoting sources in the Ukraine, the Mirror claims that the signing of Dnipro winger is "ready to be completed". Apparently Liverpool MD Ian Ayre is in the Ukraine hammering out a deal, said to be in the region of £16m that will see Konoplyanka earn £60,000-a-week over four-and-a-half years.
• Over at the Daily Star there's the surprising claim that Chelsea keeper Thibaut Courtois is "set for a stunning move to Real Madrid". Earlier in the week the Belgian shotstopper said he would only return to Chelsea from Atletico Madrid, where is has been on loan for three seasons, if he was guaranteed regular game time. The Star says that alerted Real and they are now poised to take him to the Bernabeu, though it will cost them £20m.
• The Guardian claims that West Ham are "trying to hijack" Fulham's bid to sign Olympiakos striker Kostas Mitroglu. Apparently the Cottagers were closing in on a £12m deal but that was before Big Sam Allardyce stuck in his oar. The Hammers head honcho has already dipped into the transfer market this month but sees the 25-year-old international as a valuable addition to his squad. A Hammers press conference is scheduled later this morning ·