Deadline Day: Arsenal in for Klose, Mitroglou to Fulham
Gunners hoping to bring German veteran to the Emirates, Fulham sign Greek as Berbatov replacement
AS THE Clock ticks down towards the end of the transfer window later tonight the rumours continue to fly. Some moves have come to fruition, for example Wilfried Zaha's loan move to Cardiff City, while others, like Julian Draxler's Arsenal switch, have gone up in smoke - although the Gunners are close to signing Kim Kallstrom.
Here are some of the latest rumours doing the rounds:
• With Arsenal having given up on Draxler the Gunners are now said to be zeroing in on Lazio striker Miroslav Klose. Goal.com reports that Arsenal "contract-fixer" Dick Law has flown to Italy to finalise a loan deal for the veteran German frontman after Arsene Wenger realised he had next to no chance of prising Draxler from Schalke. Despite being 35 years old Klose - whose former clubs include Bremen and Bayern Munich - continues to find the net for Lazio and is expected to be included in Germany's World Cup. His capture would be a short term measure for the Gunners, says Goal.com, who are in need of cover after Theo Walcott's long-term injury
• Still with Arsenal and the BBC reports that Barnsley have signed midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong for an undisclosed fee. The 24-year-old Frimpong has not played for Arsenal this season this season and the BBC says that the Ghana international could make his debut for Barnsely against Sheffield Wednesday tomorrow. Frimpong tweeted farewell to the Gunners saying he hoped that they would win the league. He also sent a tweet wondering how he could pick up girls in Barnsley.
• Meanwhile Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini is being coy over the prospect of Porto duo Eliaquim Mangala and Fernando joining the Sky Blues in the next few hours, tweeting on the club's official website "For the moment, there is no transfer news. There may be business but I have no news at the moment."
• Liverpool are in a similar position as they try to thrash out a last-minute deal for Ukranian winger Yehven Konoplyanka. The club have representatives in Ukraine but Brendan Rodgers did not sound confident. "Time is against us... But let’s hope we can do something. Konoplyanka is the only signing there could be," he said according to the Daily Telegraph.
• According to the Daily Mail Dimitar Berbatov is set to leave Fulham for a move to Monaco. The paper says that the minted French club have moved for the 33-year-old Bulgarian sharpshooter as they need cover for injured frontman Radamel Falcao, currently recovering from knee surgery.
• The Mail also says that the Cottagers may be about to sign German midfielder Lewis Holtby from Tottenham on a short term deal.
• Fulham have already sorted out a replacement for Berbatov, with Greek inernational Kostas Mitroglou arriving at the Cottage. West Ham were interested in the player but the 25-year-old has opted to move to Craven Cottage instead, reports The Guardian. He has signed a four-year contract with the west London club. ·