Berahino may quit West Brom over black eye… but won't sue

Young England striker says he will not take legal action against team mate Morrison after fracas

BY Bill Mann LAST UPDATED AT 08:54 ON Thu 3 Apr 2014

ENGLAND Under-21 star Saido Berahino has dismissed speculation that he will sue West Brom after a dressing room fracas that left him sporting a black eye in the wake of Saturday's 3-3 draw with Cardiff City. 

The 20-year-old Baggies' striker gave the ball away deep into stoppage time in last Saturday's game against Cardiff with Albion leading 3-2 at the time. From the error, Cardiff equalised through Mats Moller Daehli to deny WBA a precious two points and leave them in 17th spot, just three points above the relegation zone.

The dropped points caused tempers to flare in the West Brom dressing room and it's alleged that, during the rowdy inquest, midfielder James Morrison punched Berahino, leaving the frontman with a shiner.

According to The Guardian, Berahino, who later apologised for his error to fans on his Twitter account, is "furious" that the club declined to take any action over the altercation, instead issuing a specious statement in which they said: "What happened is not uncommon in a dressing room and shows the players care. The players involved have apologised. The club has drawn a line under the matter and is now fully focusing on Saturday's important game at Norwich."

But far from having kissed and made up with Morrison, Berahino has "been badly affected by it all and [he] cannot understand the reaction of some senior stars", according to The Sun. It's claimed that Victor Anichebe, who reportedly separated Morrison and Berahino before the tussle got out of control, is the only player to have offered support and that the England Under-21 star is angry that "he is being made to look the villain of the piece".

There had been speculation in some quarters that the striker was considering legal action against Morrison, who has yet to make any public comment on the allegations, but Berahino ruled out such a move on Wednesday night.

In a statement released on the WBA website, Berahino is quoted as saying: "I am not taking legal action against any team-mate. I am only focusing on Saturday's game at Norwich." In addition, the club's sporting director Richard Garlick declared they have "drawn a line under the matter. We have seven important games coming up and Saido, along with the rest of the squad, has a big part to play."

Despite the conciliatory words from West Brom, the Sun says that Berahino feels he is being made a scapegoat for the Baggies' poor form and the "club might have to look at selling him at the end of the season". That might work out well for both parties because, since Pepe Mel became manager of the Baggies in early January, Berahino has made just three starts. Every black cloud – or in this case – eye, has a silver lining. · 

Disqus - noscript

Berahino can quite legally walk away from West Brom and sign elsewhere, an employer has a duty of care to its employees and the clubs quite unbelievable lack of action is a serious breach of employment law.

For further concise, balanced comment and analysis on the week's news, try The Week magazine. Subscribe today and get 6 issues completely free.