Olympic park stand-off over McDonald's chip 'monopoly'
Olympic gossip: Fast food giant backs down on chip rules, anger over MP 100m final freebies
A stand-off over McDonald's 'chip monopoly' in the Olympic park is over after site workers were told they could now buy chips from other outlets. Previously caterers had been told they could not sell portions of chips unless they came with other items, like fish. But amid growing anger over the rule Locog intervened and McDonald's backed down. However, the rules will be re-introduced once the Games start. The Guardian reports that caterers at the media centre have been playing it safe. On Wednesday they served hash browns and dauphinoise potatoes – no chips.
PHILLIPS IDOWU DENIES INJURY RUMOURS
Triple jumper Phillips Idowu has insisted he is not injured despite rumours that he is struggling to be fit for the Olympics. The 2008 Olympic silver medallist has not been seen in public for five weeks since an awkward landing at a meeting in Oregon on 2 June. But at an appearance yesterday insisted he was in "good" form, despite dropping to 10th in world rankings, reported The Independent. His optimism contradicts UK Athletics head coach Charles van Commenee's assertion that Idowu "was injured", but communication has been down between the two following a Twitter row last year.
MO FARAH TO SLEEP IN LOW OXYGEN TENT
Distance runner Mo Farah will sleep in an oxygen-reduced tent leading up to his London 2012 Olympic campaign event to get full benefit of his altitude training, reports The Daily Telegraph. Altitude training and low oxygen tents, also used by Wayne Rooney, stimulate the body's production of red blood cells to carry oxygen more efficiently around the body – a benefit for distance athletes. The large and noisy tent may prevent Farah from sleeping in the athlete's village, but the BOA will allow a small number of athletes to stay outside the village if it helps performance .
MPS ATTACKED OVER FREE 100M FINAL TICKETS
Several MPs are under fire for accepting free tickets to the men's 100m final, reports the Daily Mail. Four members of the Culture, Media and Sport sub-committee have accepted the tickets from BT in a move that the paper says will outrage the public. BT stressed they are not providing a "lavish hospitality package" but said that the tickets came with an invite to a briefing. A Cabinet Office note to ministers, who are banned from accepting free tickets, said the "presumption for all invitations should be that they are declined." ·