Ben Fogle LSD trip: presenter 'psychotic' after drink spiked

Feb 20, 2013

TV adventurer had to be locked in a room after unwittingly taking acid in country pub

Getty Images

WHOLESOME TV presenter Ben Fogle suffered a "full-on psychotic episode" and was rushed to hospital after his drink was spiked with LSD at a pub in Gloucestershire last week, he has revealed.

The 39-year-old adventurer had to be restrained and locked in a room for his own safety after he tried to jump out of windows and "get into bags" during his six-hour acid trip. He was eventually taken to hospital by ambulance and spent 12 hours at A&E while doctors did tests to try and find out what was wrong with him.

Fogle ended up missing a BBC filming trip to the Middle East in the aftermath of his mind-altering drug experience and lashed out on Twitter, asking the culprit: "Did you think of the damage you would cause?"

He told the Daily Mail how he started to flip out after a quiet night in a country pub near a friend's house in Gloucestershire where he was staying with his wife, Marina, and two children. He insisted that he had drunk no more than half a bottle of wine, but began to feel strange when he went to check on his son and daughter after returning at around midnight.

"I picked my daughter up and she felt incredibly light, like a grain of rice," he explained. "I suddenly had this compulsion to jump through a window." Fogle then "just flipped and had a full-on psychotic episode".

"I was ranting, marching up and down, hitting walls, trying to jump out of windows," he said. "I was acting like a stereotypical madman. I thought I was doomed, I thought I was going to die."

Eventually he was "corralled" into the living room of the house and an ambulance was called.

After undergoing medical tests, he is now certain his drink was spiked. "Five doctors have now concluded it was almost certainly drugs and have 100 per cent ruled out that it was neurological or psychological," he claimed.

Sign up for our daily newsletter