Amy Winehouse died after vodka binge

Inquest into the singer's death records a verdict of misadventure

LAST UPDATED AT 16:07 ON Wed 26 Oct 2011

A CORONER has recorded a verdict of misadventure at the inquest of Amy Winehouse. The singer was found to have been more than five times over the drink drive limit when she died at her London flat in July, but had no illegal substances in her body.

The court heard that the singer, who had battled drug addiction, had not had a drink for three weeks prior to her death. But on Friday 22 July she binged on vodka and was poisoned by the alcohol. Three empty bottles of the spirit, two large and one small, were later found at her home.

The following day, 23 July, her live-in guard Andrew Morris checked on Winehouse at 10am, but thought she was asleep. He raised the alarm at 3pm when he went back to her room and realised that she had not moved since the morning.

A post mortem discovered that the singer had 416mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood. The legal drink-drive limit is 80mg, and levels above 350mg can kill. Coroner Suzanne Greenway told the court: "The unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels was her sudden and unexpected death."

Winehouse's family have been adamant that she was not on drugs at the time of her death, despite a long-running battle with addiction, and the post mortem found no evidence of illegal substances in her body.

Last week a file on the singer's death, meant for her family, was sent to the wrong address by the Met Police but was later handed in to a police station in north London. · 

For further concise, balanced comment and analysis on the week's news, try The Week magazine. Subscribe today and get 6 issues completely free.