Bristol man falsely accused of paedophilia killed and burned

Oct 29, 2013

Bajan Ebrahimi murdered after taking pictures of children 'damaging flowers outside his home'

A BRISTOL man falsely accused by neighbours of being a paedophile was beaten to death and his body set on fire, a court has heard.

Neighbours began spreading rumours about Bajan Ebrahimi, a disabled 44-year-old who lived alone, when he took pictures of children in the street outside his council flat in Brislington. In fact, The Times reports, he is thought to have been photographing youths damaging flowers outside his home as evidence to present to the police and council.

Ebrahimi was "besieged" in his flat by about 20 angry neighbours after one of them, 24-year-old Lee James, made false allegations about him. James, who attacked Ebrahimi at the flat, pleaded guilty to his murder at Bristol Crown Court on 3 October.

Another neighbour, 24-year-old Stephen Norley, allegedly helped drag Ebrahimi's body from the building where it was "doused with white spirit and set alight", the Times reports. Norley had previously admitted assisting an offender and both he and James are due to be sentenced on 28 November.

After the hearing, Avon and Somerset Police released a statement saying that Ebrahimi was not a paedophile and "no incriminating evidence had been found on his mobile phone or computer".

Ebrahimi was arrested on suspicion of breaching the peace on 11 July, after he was seen taking the photographs. He was released without charge the following day and was killed at his flat two days later.

One resident told the Times that immediately before his arrest, Ebrahimi's home was besieged by an angry crowd of neighbours. "Everyone came out and they were calling him a paedophile," the resident said. "It was very hostile. They wanted him moved out."

Another resident said: "Whoever started those rumours now has to live with that. He wasn't a paedophile and now he's dead. That's a hell of a conscience to have. He was always out there, he loved his flowers."

The Times says that after Ebrahimi's death, the case was referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC). In September, it confirmed that it had served three officers who dealt with Ebrahimi with gross misconduct notices after "information about their conduct" came to light. They were suspended by the force before being interviewed by the IPCC under criminal cautions."

An inspector, sergeant and constable who dealt with Mr Ebrahimi in custody on 12 July, none of whom has been suspended, were also served with notices of gross misconduct and have been interviewed," the Times reports.

Sign up for our daily newsletter

Read more:

Disqus - noscript

Of course the police wouldn't take him seriously. Check his name.

OMG! How sickening and so sad to read this about a disabled man who loved his flowers.

Absolutely tragic, my heart and condolences goes out to the family and friends. Of the victim at this difficult time. For all those residents who participated and contributed by indifference to whipping up hysteria about an innocent man you will have to live with that on your conscience day and sleepless night. Be certain in this knowledge, 'You could have done more', a man is no dead. The 'Police Officers and staff', who are employed to protect and serve the community, you did not, you failed miserably, consequently an innocent man is dead.They, the officers and staff, are not fit to wear the title or the uniform and should be sacked immediately if neglect is proven. This is a wake-up call as to the descent of of law and order when those charged to uphold it fall short of their fundamental responsibility and a community that has lost its humanity.

this country gets more third world every day. we'll be burning flags next.

...surely, the police should have anticipated this outcome after contributing to his public humiliation.

In their own way they are just as culpable as the piece of pond life who murdered him. This tragic incident should not be allowed to go unchallenged - the relevant police personnel and the police authority need to be hauled over the coals for this one.

I doubt, for one moment, that the police were remotely interested in the "low level" acts of vandalism that led to this incident - probably too busy with paperwork.