In Brief

Prince Charles ‘threatens to stop Harry and Meghan’s cash’

Royal reported to be refusing ‘to write a blank cheque’ as couple steps back

The Prince of Wales has reportedly threatened to stop funding the Duke and Duchess of Sussex if they step away from royal duties entirely.

The Times reports that “Charles has made it clear that he will not be writing his son a blank cheque” as Harry and his wife embark on a new life after “relinquishing their roles as senior members of the royal family”.

Although the couple have said that they no longer wish to receive income from the sovereign grant, the taxpayer fund that bankrolls official duties of the royal family, the majority of their costs are met by Charles’s income from the Duchy of Cornwall. It is believed that Harry receives close to £2.5m annually this way.

The Times says that Charles is “unlikely to leave them without a penny” but has made it clear that any agreement over money depends on the details of their future role and will not be settled until that has been decided.

Harry and Meghan shocked Buckingham Palace by releasing a “personal message” on Wednesday announcing that they were stepping down as senior royals.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex also announced plans to become financially independent.

In the unexpected statement on their Instagram page, the couple said they made the decision “after many months of reflection and internal discussions”.

They added: “We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen.”

The Guardian says that though the couple’s announcement “may sound like they plan to start earning a living, it is actually about gradually cutting down on the money they receive from the government via the sovereign grant”. The grant constitutes just 5% of their annual income.

The couple will retain Frogmore Cottage, their Grade-II listed home in Windsor, which was renovated last year at the cost of £2.4m paid for by the sovereign grant, so that they have a “place to call home” in the UK.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––For a round-up of the most important stories from around the world - and a concise, refreshing and balanced take on the week’s news agenda - try The Week magazine. Start your trial subscription today –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Recommended

How the UK is combatting vaccine ‘blackspots’
A member of medical staff administers a Covid-19 vaccine.
Today’s big question

How the UK is combatting vaccine ‘blackspots’

‘Target BAME groups for jabs’
Today's newspaper front pages
Today’s newspapers

‘Target BAME groups for jabs’

‘Ethnic minorities are more hesitant about taking the vaccine - I can understand why’
A pharmacist fills a syringe with the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid vaccine.
Instant Opinion

‘Ethnic minorities are more hesitant about taking the vaccine - I can understand why’

Prince Andrew used internet troll to attack abuse accuser
Prince Andrew attends a service at Manchester Cathedral marking the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme
The latest on . . .

Prince Andrew used internet troll to attack abuse accuser

Popular articles

How scientists developed a Covid-19 vaccine in record time
A nurse prepares a dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine
In Focus

How scientists developed a Covid-19 vaccine in record time

Stalin-themed kebab shop closes after one day
Tall Tales

Stalin-themed kebab shop closes after one day

Ten Things You Need to Know Today: 19 Jan 2021
10 Downing Street
Daily Briefing

Ten Things You Need to Know Today: 19 Jan 2021

Free 6 issue trial then continue to