Premier League footballer at centre of rape and false imprisonment investigation
Sports star arrested over alleged attack at his home
A Premier League star has been arrested on suspicion of rape and false imprisonment following an alleged attack at his home.
The player, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was arrested at his home on Wednesday morning “before being released as the police investigation continues”, according to the Daily Mail. The alleged attack is said to have occurred last month.
The publication claims to be “aware of the player's identity”, and to have had confirmation from police about the suspect's age.
A police statement yesterday confirmed that “a man was arrested on suspicion of rape and false imprisonment”.
The statement added: “He has since been released under investigation pending further enquiries.”
Police said that “two people, a woman and a man, who were present at the address at the time of the warrant were also issued with fixed penalty notices for Covid-19 breaches”.
Media outlets often withhold from publishing the names of police suspects until this information is formally released by police, the CPS, or until a prosecution has taken place.
Police will rarely officially release names, unless under specified circumstances, such as threat to life, the prevention of crime, or to preserve public confidence.
Naming practices have shifted since the 2013 Leveson Inquiry, which investigated the practices of the press. In the resulting report, Lord Levenson stated that arrested suspects should not be named "save in exceptional and clearly identified circumstances".