World Cup last 16: Uruguay vs. Portugal starting XIs, predictions, odds and TV channel
All eyes will be on the world-class attacking talent on display in Sochi
Uruguay vs. Portugal
- When: Saturday 30 June
- Kick-off time: 7pm
- Where: Fisht Olympic Stadium, Sochi
- TV channel: live on ITV
This last 16 clash is being billed as the “duel of the world-class attackers”, so fans in Sochi could be in for a treat when Uruguay take on Portugal.
On one side you have a Uruguay team featuring Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani while on the other Portugal have their own superstar striker in Cristiano Ronaldo.
All three have been among the goals in Russia with Cavani (one) and Suarez (two) on target in the group stages while Portugal talisman Ronaldo has four to his name, including a World Cup hat-trick against Spain.
If Suarez gets on the scoresheet again he will become Uruguay’s all-time leading scorer at the World Cup, Fifa.com reports. Ronaldo’s efforts in Russia make him the favourite to win the Golden Ball for the tournament’s best player.
The winners of this clash will play France in the World Cup quarter-finals on Friday 6 July (3pm). France beat Argentina 4-3 in the first match of the round of 16.
Uruguay vs. Portugal starting XIs
How the teams will line up at the Fisht Olympic Stadium in Sochi.
Uruguay vs. Portugal predictions
Mark Lawrenson, BBC Sport: “Portugal will not change the way they play, which is quite one-dimensional and not particularly inspiring. Uruguay have not exactly set this tournament alight with their attacking play either, but they are more adventurous and have a few more ideas when they come forward. Uruguay 1 Portugal 0.”
Sports Illustrated: “Uruguay have the benefit of two world-class strikers rather than one, and they also have the best defender of the tournament so far in Diego Godin. It could go all the way in Sochi, but the South Americans should have just enough to edge out the European champions. Uruguay 2 Portugal 1.”
The Daily Telegraph: “Blood, sweat and tears. Then a very tight encounter, edged by Uruguay’s attacking prowess. Uruguay 2 Portugal 1.”
Uruguay vs. Portugal betting odds
Best prices according to Oddschecker (as of 30 June).
- Uruguay to win: 2/1
- Portugal to win: 15/8
- Draw: 2/1
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal): 5/2
- Luis Suarez (Uruguay): 9/2
- No goalscorer: 5/1
- Edinson Cavani (Uruguay): 13/2
- Andre Silva (Portugal): 15/2
- Maximiliano Gomez (Uruguay): 17/2
- Christian Stuani (Uruguay): 9/1
- Goncalo Guedes (Portugal): 12/1
World Cup round of 16 fixtures and results
- France 4 Argentina 3
- 30 June: Uruguay vs. Portugal at Fisht Olympic Stadium, Sochi; 7pm live on ITV
- 1 July: Spain vs. Russia at Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow; 3pm live on BBC
- 1 July: Croatia vs. Denmark at Nizhny Novgorod; 7pm live on ITV
- 2 July: Brazil vs. Mexico at Samara; 3pm live on ITV
- 2 July: Belgium vs. Japan at Rostov-on-Don; 7pm live on BBC
- 3 July: Sweden vs. Switzerland at St Petersburg; 3pm live on BBC
- 3 July: Colombia vs. England at Spartak Stadium, Moscow; 7pm live on ITV