Dele Alli and Harry Kane worth more than Messi and Ronaldo
Spurs duo are second and third most valuable players in Europe according to new study of transfer fees
Spurs stars Dele Alli and Harry Kane have been rated more valuable than Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo in a list of Europe's most valuable players.
The study, by the CIES Football Observatory based in Switzerland, valued Alli at £136.5m and Kane at £135.2m. They occupy second and third place on the list behind Neymar, who is said to be worth a massive £185.4m.
Messi came in fourth at £133.5m, but Ronaldo did not even make it into the top ten. Instead he was listed 11th with a value below £100m. Antoine Griezmann, Paul Pogba and Eden Hazard are all above him in the rankings.
The valuations are based on a series of factors including age, contract length and club performance.
"Messi and Ronaldo's ages, 29 and 32 respectively, appear to have counted against them, as has the fact the former has yet to sign a new contract with Barcelona to replace the one which expires next summer," says the Daily Telegraph. "The Argentina star's value would doubtless soar again the moment he puts pen to paper on a deal worth £500,000-a-week after tax."
But the compilers have done their research.
"The exclusive CIES Football Observatory algorithm is based on the thorough analysis of almost 2,000 paying fee transfers and the variables have led to the Premier League being heavily represented," explains the Daily Mail.
Nine of the top 20 ply their trade in England. In addition to Alli, Kane, Pogba and Hazard, Man City stars Kevin be Bruyne (£97.2m) and Raheem Sterling (£86.9m) make the list along with Romelu Lukaku (£92.8), Alexis Sanchez (£84.4) and Robert Firmino (£75m).
According to the list:
- Man City winger Raheem Sterling is more valuable that Monaco star Kylian Mbappe, who is 18th on the list.
- Gareth Bale, who limps home in 43rd place, is worth less than Marcus Rashford. And John Stones.
- Roberto Firmino would command £10m more than Liverpool teammate Philippe Coutinho in the transfer market.
- Antoine Griezmann's buyout clause, rumoured to be £86m, seems like a bargain as his market value is £132.3m.
- Paul Pogba has increased in value since joining Manchester United. He is now worth £118.2m.
- There is only one Arsenal player in the top 50 – Alexis Sanchez, who is expected to leave this summer.
- In addition to Alli and Kane, Spurs have Eric Dier and Christian Eriksen in the top 25. No other team has that many in the top 25.
- The most expensive keeper is Marc-Andre ter Stegen of Barcelona. Thibaut Courtois of Chelsea is second with a value of £59m.
The top ten:
Dele Alli (Spurs)
Harry Kane (Spurs)
Lionel Messi (Barcelona)
Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid)
Luis Suarez (Barcelona)
Paul Pogba (Manchester United)
Gonzalo Higuain (Juventus)
Eden Hazard (Chelsea)
Paulo Dybala (Juventus)