Man City to land Kyle Walker with record fee for a defender
Spurs full back could end up costing more than £50m and is expected to join Citizens' tour of the US
Manchester City will break the transfer record for a defender when they finally secure the services of Kyle Walker.
City will pay Tottenham more than £50m for the rampaging right-back who is expected in Manchester today for a medical. The Daily Telegraph, which claims the story as an exclusive, says big-spending City are lining up a double whammy with Benjamin Mendy set to move to The Etihad from Monaco.
City have agreed to pay £50m for Walker and with add-ons the price could rise to £53m. That would eclipse the £50m fee Paris Saint-Germain paid Chelsea for David Luiz in 2014.
Walker’s move north will end a long-running summer saga of rumours concerning his future. City were initially reluctant to meet the asking price but were forced to relent after Dani Alves snubbed them and decided to join Paris Saint-Germain instead.
Walker, 27, was not a regular in the Spurs team towards the end of last season as news about City’s interest surfaced and he lost his place to Kieran Trippier, who has just signed a new five-year contract.
Having finally landed Walker, City boss Pep Guardiola will now turn his attention to adding a new left-back to his squad and make a fresh bid to Monaco for Mendy, according to the Telegraph.
City have failed with one bid for Mendy, but are likely to return with a new offer in excess of £40m.
The Walker story is reported by all the national media and the Daily Star says he has agreed a five-year-deal worth £150,000-a-week and will become the 15th most expensive player ever.
He is expected to join Guardiola's squad when they fly to the US on Monday to begin their pre-season tour. Guardiola’s spending has now reached £170m this summer.
Man City hunt Ryan Bertrand and Kyle Walker after Alves snub
Manchester City are pondering a £30m bid for Ryan Bertrand as their search for a fullback gathers pace. The Southampton and England ace is now on the radar after top target Dani Alves snubbed City and decided to join Paris Saint-Germain instead.
The Sun says City boss Pep Guardiola is fuming about the late change of mind from Alves and is determined to bring in three fullbacks before the start of the season.
So far he has failed to land any and City reckon £30m could tempt Saints to part with one of their prized assets.
Bertrand made his name at Chelsea and was a surprise starter in their Champions League winning team against Bayern Munich in 2012.
He moved to the South Coast two years ago for £10m and is an attacking left-sided player who likes to get forward and deliver crosses, much like Alves, and at 27 is seven years younger than the Brazilian veteran.
City have also been linked with a big money move for Spurs fullback Kyle Walker during the summer but have so far been frustrated in their efforts to sign him.
The Sun says that City are prepared to offer £40m for Walker but tough-talking Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is demanding at least £10m more and is likely to increase the price now that City have failed to sign Alves.
To make matters worse for City, Walker is due back at Tottenham in the next fews days and is expected to be on their pre-season trip to the United States.