Why Prince Charles has pulled out of final leg of Africa tour
The Royal’s visit to Nigerian city of Jos has been scrapped amid security fears
Violence between Muslims and Christians in central Nigeria has forced the Prince of Wales to abandon plans to visit a city in the region.
Prince Charles was supposed to be travelling to Jos later this week on the final leg of his four-day royal tour of West Africa with the Duchess of Cornwall. He is said to be “disappointed” about the cancellation of engagements that were to include a discussion on peace-building efforts.
The decision was made “upon advice from the Nigerian government and others involved in security and operational aspects of the visit”, according to a spokesperson for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
A conflict between mostly Muslim nomadic cattle herders and Christian farmers over land and grazing rights in the region has triggered bloody clashes in which thousands of people have died over the past year, the London Evening Standard reports.
“As many as 169 people were killed in Plateau State, of which Jos is the capital, in June after Muslim Fulani herdsmen were accused of attacking members of the Berom tribe, who are mostly Christian,” says The Daily Telegraph. At least 14 more people were reportedly killed in a gunfight on the edge of the city last month, the newspaper adds.
Prince Charles will instead spend his final day in the Nigerian capital of Abuja, where he will meet local people and take part in talks about conflict resolution.
The Foreign Office spokesperson said: “We’ve arranged an interesting and engaging programme on Thursday in Abuja, which will include showcasing alternative livelihoods focusing on poultry and Acha supergrain, water aid and a peacebuilding discussion with youth peace ambassadors.”
The Prince and the Duchess of Cornwall arrived in Nigeria this morning, following visits to the Gambia and Ghana.