Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain must quit Arsenal to fulfil his promise
After six years at the Emirates, the 23-year-old will move on to secure regular football and an England World Cup berth
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has made up his mind to leave Arsenal after six years at the Emirates, and his decision is is "set to spark a transfer scramble", says the Sunday Times.
The paper says that the 23-year-old has been mulling over his future on holiday and he's come to the conclusion that "a move would be best if he is to deliver on his rich potential". In recent years the Ox has shown only glimpses of that potential, and his career has been hampered by injury but also the tendency of Arsene Wenger to start him on the bench.
Desperate to be included in England's World Cup squad next summer, Oxlade-Chamberlain wants to move to a club where he'll get regular game time. Where might that be?
The Sunday Times says Chelsea "covet him" while Manchester City and Liverpool are also admirers. Reds boss Jurgen Klopp is a particular fan because of Oxlade-Chamberlain's "energy, explosiveness and ability to perform a variety of attacking roles".
Arsenal were said to be ready to offer the Ox a new deal to secure his loyalty but apparently nothing formal has been tabled. There was an informal offer, according to the Sunday Times, but that was "significantly below expectations". And the fact that Wenger has not promised Oxlade-Chamberlain more starts next season has confirmed to the player where he stands in his manager's thinking.
It's believed that Arsenal will sell to a Premier League rival - unlike Alexis Sanchez - but only if they receive bids in the region of £25m.
That's half of what the Gunners are considering bidding for Alexandre Lacazette, says The Sun, with the paper claiming that Lyon have upped their asking price for the 26-year-old striker.
Initially it was thought the Frenchman would set Arsenal back £30m but with Atletico Madrid also interested, Lyon are determined to squeeze Lacazette's suitors until the pips squeak. Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas said last week that the club "have a very nice offer from Arsenal but he will not leave", but it's believed that if the north London outfit find another £20m then his resolve will crack like an Arsenal title challenge.
But the Daily Mirror claims that the striker in Arsenal's sights is AC Milan frontman Carlos Bacca, who in recent days has been linked to Everton and Marseille. Apparently the Italian club will "happily sell the 30-year-old for €20m" and Arsene Wenger is said to be weighing up an offer.