Arsenal set for Carvalho swoop as Man Utd refocus on Vidal
Gunners will use Champions League cash to secure Portuguese midfielder for £23.8m
Having negotiated a stormy Champions League play-off against Besiktas on Wednesday night, Arsenal could be set to celebrate with the signing of Sporting Lisbon star William Carvalho.
With the Gunners now guaranteed at least £25m from their qualification for Europe's showpiece tournament the Daily Express claims that they will shortly swoop for the defensive midfielder after the Portuguese side said they were "willing to forgo Carvalho's sizeable £35.8m release clause". Instead Sporting will reportedly settle for a fee in the region of £23.8m with Arsenal stumping up £20m up-front with a further £3.8m to follow through performance related bonuses. The Express adds that Arsenal have been given a free run at Carvalho after the other interested party, Manchester United, withdrew.
United boss Louis van Gaal will instead refocus his efforts on signing Juventus man Arturo Vidal, who apparently has "agreed in principal" to a five-year deal at Old Trafford. He must have missed the Red Devils' trip to Milton Keynes.
The official Spurs website has announced that Fazio has joined the club on a four-year contract. The central defender, capped twice by Argentina, arrives from Sevilla after a seven year spell at the Spanish club during which time he helped them win the Europa League, helping them to victory over Benfica last season. The deal is believed to have cost Spurs around £8m and Fazio is clearly delighted, declaring: "I'm really happy to be here at this club, this great club with very good players."
Meanwhile Evening Standard reports that Tottenham gaffer Mauricio Pochettino has no intention of waving goodbye to Roberto Soldado and Andros Townsend. In recent days rumours have emerged linking the pair to some of Spurs Premier league rivals but Pochettino has moved quickly to scotch the idle gossip, telling reporters that the both players are "in my plans" and reiterating that the duo would remain at the Lane this season.
Elsewhere Caughtoffside claims that Chelsea are "interested in signing" Real Madrid right-back Alvaro Arbeloa. Taking its cue from Spanish rag AS, Caughtoffside says that Arbeloa, a former Liverpool man, is desperate to leave the Camp Nou before the transfer window closes on Monday. Blues boss Jose Mourinho is familiar with the defender from his time in charge of Real Madrid, but so is former Liverpool guv'nor Rafa Benitez, now in charge at Napoli, who is also said to be "tracking" Arbeloa.
Still with Chelsea and Talksport says that AC Milan are homing in on Fernando Torres and Marco van Ginkel. Apparently the pair are "near the Chelsea exit door" and it appears the Serie A outfit would like to hold it open for them. Having packed off Mario Balotelli to Liverpool earlier in the week, AC Milan are in need of a striker and they have their heart set on Torres. Dutch midfielder Van Ginkel is also on their wish list and Talksport quotes chief executive Adriano Galliani declaring: "We are in the last stages of the (transfer) market and we will see if we are able to acquire an important forward... Torres is certainly an important forward and we will see if we can sign him."
Chelsea fans and Jose Mourinho might choose a different adjective to "important", and would not object to his departure.
As for Van Ginkel, Galliani said "we have written to Chelsea and are awaiting a response. We are optimistic."