Arsenal to steal Grosskreutz from under Man Utd's noses
After Paulista deal Gunners target German utility man and Italian youngster
Not long to go now before the transfer window slams shut and Arsenal appear to have finally secured some new blood, bringing in Brazilian defender Gabriel Paulista from Villarreal. With the 26-year-old set to be unveiled as a Gunner, Arsene Wenger is not resting on his laurels and is reportedly eyeing more defensively-minded players. Meanwhile at Chelsea, World Cup winner Andre Schurrle is heading towards the exit.
• With Gabriel Paulista bagged and tagged are Arsenal set to get one over on Manchester United and pinch Borussia Dortmund star Kevin Grosskreutz from under their noses? United were heavily linked with the 26-year-old German utility man last week but the Daily Express says that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has made "Grosskreutz his top target" in the next week. The versatile midfielder can also operate in defence and at just £3.7m he represents a real bargain. According to the Express "Grosskreutz is an avid Arsenal fan" and for that reason would far rather join the Gunners than head north to Old Trafford.
• Talksport reports that Chelsea and Wolfsburg "are still locked in negotiations" over a deal for Andre Schurrle. The German, absent from Chelsea's squad as they were dumped out of the FA Cup by Bradford at the weekend, is rumoured to be eager to leave the Bridge and the 24-year-old appears to be edging towards a return to the Bundesliga. The German press report that Wolfsburg "have lodged a £22m bid for the winger" but Chelsea are allegedly reluctant to accept the offer until they find a suitable replacement for Schurrle.
• Could Arsenal could be gazumped by local rivals Tottenham in the race to sign Mattia Destro? Metro believes so, claiming Spurs have made "contact with Roma" with a view to signing the 23-year-old striker. The Italian has been linked with a move away from Rome but it had been expected that Destro's destination would be the Emirates. But according to Metro, which takes its information from the Italian press, Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino has identified Destro as the man to replace Roberto Soldado, who is expected to leave the Lane in the next week.
• Metro has some good news for Gooners with its claim the they are "looking to bolster" their defensive ranks still further after landing Paulista, by signing Empoli's Daniele Rugani. Apparently Arsene Wenger has been "keeping close tabs" on the 20-year-old Rugani who, though co-owned by champions Juventus, has been impressing this season for Empoli in Serie A. It's believed that Arsenal would have to pay close to £3m if they're to get their man.
• One player Arsenal have lost out on is Dinamo Zagreb midfielder Marcelo Brozovic. The Daily Star reports that he has signed for Inter Milan in a two-year loan deal. The 22 year-old was unveiled as the latest addition to the Inter squad in a message posted on the official club website, the contents of which claim the Star "will be a hammer blow to Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool". The three Premier League clubs had all been linked with the Croatian cracker but Inter have won the race to his signature.
• The Daily Star claims that Liverpool have their eye on Arsenal youngster Chuba Akpom, the 19-year-old striker who came off the bench for the Gunners in Sunday's FA Cup win over Brighton. According to the tabloid, Akpom "is stalling on fresh terms to keep him at the Emirates" until 2019 and as a result Liverpool are monitoring his situation, as are Borussia Dortmund and Dutch outfit Feyenoord.
• Manchester United striker Robin van Persie has admitted he has no idea if he'll be offered a new deal when his existing contract expires at the end of next season. Sky Sports reports that the 31-year-old was speaking at a corporate event at Old Trafford on Monday, telling his audience: "It is not up to me. For the moment I am staying here…[but] I can't look into the future. I don't know what is going to happen after that. We shall have to wait and see."