Man United and Arsenal still chasing Turan, Reus and Cavani
The transfer window may be shut but the rumour mill keeps on talking about the same players
You have to hand it to the rumour mill, it's quicker off the mark than Theo Walcott. Barely 24 hours after the January transfer window slammed shut – or rather, quietly closed without anyone noticing – speculation is already rife about who might heading where in the summer, with many old favourites back in the mix.
• Midfielder Arda Turan "could be on his way out of Atletico Madrid" in a few months' time, says the Daily Star. And apparently Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool are all monitoring his situation in Spain with the Star claiming that the Turkish international has had a barney with boss Diego Simeone. The former Galatasaray midfielder, who has scored 22 goals in 158 appearances for the Spanish champions, is rumoured to be looking for pastures new and it's reported the trio of Premier League clubs will embark upon a bidding war for the 28-year-old, though the Star warns that Borussia Dortmund, Inter Milan and Roma are also interested in a player who comes with a £30m price tag.
• The Star also claims that German star Marco Reus is set "to turn down a move to Real Madrid" in order to test himself in the Premier League. The news would normally be expected to excite Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United were it not for the fact the Borussia Dortmund star has been "on the verge" of an exit for longer than a Stuart Pearce managerial stint.
• According to the Daily Express a posse of Premier League clubs will be cheered by the news that Edinson Cavani and and Ezequiel Lavezzi are "likely to leave Paris Saint-Germain" at the end of the season. The pair have been linked at various times in the last few months to Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and the two Manchester clubs, and they were expected to move on in January. That never happened, but the Express – citing French media reports – says that Cavani and Lavezzi are "unhappy after being disciplined following their late return from the winter break". As a result it's only a matter of 'when' and not 'if' they will leave and the four Premier League clubs have already begun jockeying for position in the race to sign them.
• Meanwhile Manchester United have also been linked with a summer move for Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane. Talksport says that the Italian media have claimed United are "confident" of completing a £35m swoop for the 21-year-old, who was mooted as a possible Manchester target last month. Louis van Gaal didn't make an approach in January but Talksport say the Dutchman is aiming "to make a move for the highly-rated Frenchman" in June although he might face competition from Chelsea, with Jose Mourinho also said to be a fan of Varane's
• One player who won't be going anywhere for a few seasons is Liverpool star Philippe Coutinho. The 22-year-old Brazilian committed himself to the Reds on Tuesday by penning what the official Liverpool website described as a "new long-term contract". Signed from Inter Milan in January 2013, the midfielder declared: "I'm really happy. It's a dream come true playing for this great club and being part of this squad."