Recipes to make with children: Hummus
Not only is hummus delicious, it’s also quick and easy to make
Hummus is delicious, quick and easy to make if you have a food processor or blender, says Jenny Chandler. The ice cubes are the magic touch, making this the creamiest, smoothest hummus ever.
- 4 servings
- 1 x 400g can of chickpeas or 300g home-cooked chickpeas
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 tbsp water and 2 ice cubes
- a pinch of salt
- Pour the chickpeas into a sieve set over a bowl, straining off the gloopy cooking juices.
- Put the chickpeas into a processor or blender along with the lemon juice, garlic and olive oil. Give the tahini a good stir and then add that, too, with the water and ice cubes.
- Whizz until the mixture is really smooth and the ice has completely melted. Taste and season with a good pinch of salt.
- The hummus will keep in the fridge for 4 days in a jar or covered bowl.
Taken from Green Kids Cook: Simple, delicious recipes & top tips by Jenny Chandler, published by Pavilion at £14.99. To buy from The Week Bookshop for £11.99, call 020-3176 3835 or visit theweekbookshop.co.uk