Recipe of the week: Tandoori lamb chops
These chops are superb under the grill, in the oven or on the barbecue
Everyone needs a good tandoori recipe up their sleeve, says Nisha Katona. Most home cooks don’t have a tandoor – a traditional clay oven – but that’s fine: these chops are superb under the grill, in the oven or on the barbecue.
Serves four people
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato purée
- 300ml plain yoghurt
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cube frozen crushed garlic, defrosted, or 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp fenugreek powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- 8 lamb chops
- small handful fresh coriander, leaves picked, to garnish
- cooked rice, flatbreads or wraps, to serve
- Preheat the grill to high and line a grill pan with foil, or prep a barbecue.
- Put all of the ingredients except the lamb in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the lamb chops to the bowl and use your hands to coat them with the marinade. If you have time, you could leave these to marinate in the fridge for a few hours at this point, or they can be cooked straight away.
- Cook the marinated lamb chops under the grill or on the barbecue for 5-6 minutes on each side, until the meat is cooked to your liking and the edges begin to char.
- Serve the lamb garnished with fresh coriander, and with your choice of rice, flatbreads or wraps alongside.
Taken from 30 Minute Mowgli by Nisha Katona, published by Nourish Books at £25. To buy from The Week Bookshop for £19.99, call 020-3176 3835 or visit theweekbookshop.co.uk.