How Barcelona dominate British sides in Europe – stats
Victory over Manchester City in Champions League group stage makes it ten wins a row against our home teams
Barcelona's demolition job against Manchester City in last night's Champions League group stage extended the Spanish club's record of domination not just against the north-west squad, but against British teams in general.
The last home side to win against the Catalans was Celtic, in 2013. Barca have not lost to an English side since Chelsea beat them 1-0 in 2012.
Here's their impressive record:
- Barcelona have played Man City five times in Europe and have won each game, with an aggregate score of 11-2.
- Since their shock group-stage defeat to Celtic, Barca have won ten matches in a row against British opposition, scoring 30 goals and conceding four.
- Their defeat to Chelsea four years ago has been followed by nine more games against Premier League sides – of which they've won eight and drawn one, with an aggregate score of 18-5.
- Barcelona's record against Premier League teams in the Champions League since it was introduced is: P44 W24 D13 L7.
- Their record against British clubs since 2008 - when they were knocked out the Champions League by Manchester United - reads: P22 W15 D4 L3.
- The aggregate score of those games is 51-17, with the Catalans scoring on average 2.3 goals a game.
- Striker Lionel Messi has scored 16 goals in 15 games against English teams.
- Against Arsenal in the Champions League, Barca have won six, drawn two and lost only once.
- But they have not beaten Chelsea since February 2006. In the seven encounters since then, the Blues have won twice and drawn five.
- Barca have been knocked out of the Champions League by English sides four times - Chelsea in 2005 and 2012, Liverpool in 2007 and Manchester United in 2008.
- They have won 12 Champions League knock-out ties against British clubs, including three finals - Arsenal in 2006 and Man United in 2009 and 2011.
- Since the Champions League was introduced, Barcelona have played 26 group-stage games against nine different British teams. Their record reads: P26 W14 D9 L3.
- Against Premier League teams (Man Utd, Newcastle, Arsenal, Leeds, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City) in the group stages their record is: P17 W8 D7 L2.