Champions League: Harry Kane keeps Tottenham’s hopes alive
England captain scores twice in vital victory against PSV at Wembley
Tottenham 2 PSV Eindhoven 1
Tottenham were on the brink of elimination from the Champions League against PSV Eindhoven at Wembley Stadium, before Harry Kane came to the rescue.
Trailing the Dutch champions by an early goal from Luuk de Jong, Spurs scored twice in the final 12 minutes to snatch a priceless three points.
Kane first rifled a low shot past PSV keeper Jeroen Zoet and then, with a minute to go of normal time, headed Spurs into the lead.
Last night’s win is Tottenham’s first of the European campaign and they are now third in group B, three points behind second-placed Inter Milan, who visit Wembley in a fortnight.
“If we can beat Inter then we will both have seven points,” said Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino.
“Then in one game anything can happen. We will go to Barcelona [for the final group match] to try to win the game. The belief is still there. I am so optimistic.”
Inter Milan 1 Barcelona 1
Following their draw against Inter last night, Barcelona have secured qualification to the last-16 - the first side this season to do so.
Substitute Malcom scored the opening goal after 83 minutes to give Barcelona the lead at the San Siro. But Inter skipper Mauro Icardi equalised four minutes later to keep the Italians within three points of the group B leaders.
Matchday four results, fixtures and TV guide
Tuesday 6 November results
- Group A: Monaco 0 Club Brugge 4; Atletico Madrid 2 Borussia Dortmund 0
- Group B: Inter Milan 1 Barcelona 1; Tottenham Hotspur 2 PSV Eindhoven 1
- Group C: Red Star Belgrade 2 Liverpool 0; Napoli 1 Paris Saint-Germain 1
- Group D: FC Porto 4 Lokomotiv Moscow 1; FC Schalke 04 2 Galatasaray 0
Wednesday 7 November fixtures (8pm UK time unless stated)
- Group E: Benfica vs. Ajax (live on BT Sport Extra 3); Bayern Munich vs. AEK Athens (live on BT Sport Extra 2)
- Group F: Lyon vs. Hoffenheim (live on BT Sport Extra 4); Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk (live on BT Sport 3)
- Group G: CSKA Moscow vs. Roma (5.55pm, live on BT Sport ESPN); Viktoria Plzen vs. Real Madrid (live on BT Sport ESPN)
- Group H: Valencia vs. Young Boys (5.55pm, live on BT Sport 1); Juventus vs. Manchester United (live on BT Sport 2)