Champions League: Tottenham vs. Inter Milan team news and group B permutations
Spurs must beat the Italians to keep their qualifying hopes alive
Tottenham Hotspur vs. Inter Milan
- What: Champions League group B matchday five fixture
- When: Wednesday 28 November
- Where: Wembley Stadium, London
- Kick-off: 8pm (UK time)
- TV channel: live on BT Sport 3
It’s Champions League D-Day for Tottenham who must beat Inter Milan tonight to stand any chance of qualifying for the last 16 of the competition.
Group B leaders Barcelona have already secured their spot in the knockout stages and it’s between Inter and Spurs to join the Spaniards. In tonight’s other group B clash Barca face PSV Eindhoven in Holland (8pm, live on BT Sport ESPN).
Inter will qualify with a draw or win at Wembley so Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino knows the pressure is on his side. Quoted by talkSPORT, Pochettino said: “It is going to give us hope or give us a different reality that we cannot fight to get through. It is a decisive game, it is a must-win game.
“When people say something is going to be difficult I am so excited to show it is possible to do. We need to win the two games. We are going to try.”
After four games Inter are currently second in group B on seven points, three behind Barcelona and three ahead of Spurs. Head coach Luciano Spalletti is confident his side can secure qualification.
He said: “From when the draw was made, we knew that we’d have to knock out one of the biggest European teams to make the next round. Tottenham are a strong team with a great manager but we have the quality to take anyone on.
“Inter had been waiting for years to play in matches like this. The important thing is to show the fans that we’re ready to give anything to win. We need to work till the final drop of sweat to go through.”
Group B permutations Tonight’s fixtures: PSV vs. Barcelona; Tottenham vs. Inter Milan
- Barcelona have qualified. They will secure first place with a win, or a draw if Inter do not beat Spurs
- Inter will be through with a draw
- Spurs must win to stay in contention for a top-two finish
- PSV can finish third but must reduce their gap to Spurs below three points
Team news and predicted starting XIs
Tottenham team news
Victor Wanyama and Mousa Dembele are out of tonight’s clash because of injury and there are also major doubts about Kieran Trippier and Davinson Sanchez.
Juan Foyth is ineligible for the Champions League group stage so Jan Vertonghen is expected to take his place in defence, the BBC reports.
England left-back Danny Rose has returned to the squad and French goalkeeper and club captain Hugo Lloris is also available after suspension.
Inter team news
Dalbert, Roberto Gagliardini and Joao Mario are all ineligible and the Italians will also be without injured defender Sime Vrsaljko. Inter coach Spalletti has named a 19-man squad for the trip to London, Football-Italia reports.
Predicted starting XIs
How the teams could line up tonight at Wembley, according to talkSPORT.
- Spurs possible starting XI (4-2-3-1): Lloris; Aurier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davies; Sissoko, Dier; Lamela, Alli, Eriksen; Kane
- Inter possible starting XI (4-2-3-1): Handanovic; D’Ambrosio, De Vrij, Skriniar, Asamoah; Vecino, Brozovic; Politano, Nainggolan, Perisic; Icardi
What TV channel is the game on?
The Spurs vs. Inter clash is live on BT Sport 3. The match kicks off at 8pm and BT’s coverage begins at 7.15pm.
Matchday five results, fixtures and TV guide
Results: Tuesday 27 November
- Group E: AEK Athens 0 Ajax 2; Bayern Munich 5 Benfica 1
- Group F: Lyon 2 Manchester City 2; 1899 Hoffenheim 2 Shakhtar Donetsk 3
- Group G: CSKA Moscow 1 Viktoria Plzen 2; Roma 0 Real Madrid 2
- Group H: Juventus 1 Valencia 0; Manchester United 1 Young Boys 0
Fixtures: Wednesday 28 November
- Group A: Atlético Madrid vs. Monaco (5.55pm, live on BT Sport 1); Borussia Dortmund vs. Club Brugge (8pm, live on BT Sport Extra 3)
- Group B: PSV Eindhoven vs. Barcelona (8pm, live on BT Sport ESPN); Tottenham Hotspur vs. Inter Milan (8pm, live on BT Sport 3)
- Group C: Napoli vs. Red Star Belgrade (8pm, live on BT Sport Extra 2); Paris Saint-Germain vs. Liverpool (8pm, live on BT Sport 2)
- Group D: Lokomotiv Moscow vs. Galatasaray (5.55pm, live BT Sport ESPN); FC Porto vs. FC Schalke 04 (8pm, live on BT Sport Extra 4)