Champions League: PSG vs. Liverpool team news and group C permutations
PSG stars Kylian Mbappe and Neymar are fit to take on Jurgen Klopp’s Reds
Paris Saint-Germain vs. Liverpool
- What: Champions League group C matchday five fixture
- When: Wednesday 28 November
- Where: Parc des Princes, Paris, France
- Kick-off: 8pm (UK time)
- TV channel: live on BT Sport 2
Paris Saint-Germain have been given a huge boost after Kylian Mbappe and Neymar were declared fit for the crunch Champions League clash against Liverpool tonight.
The star strikers missed PSG’s Ligue 1 win against Toulouse at the weekend but will be fit to face Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool at the Parc des Princes in Paris.
Only two points separate the four teams in group C - the Champions League’s “group of death” - and there is all to play for in the final two rounds of matches.
Liverpool travel to Paris knowing that a win against PSG will secure their place in the last 16 should Red Star also not beat Napoli in tonight’s other group fixture. Defeat for PSG and a Napoli win will see the French giants fail to qualify.
Reds boss Klopp admits it will be a battle, he told the Liverpool Echo: “You have to work your socks off, you have to run like crazy, chase them all over the pitch, win battles, make yards, accelerate in the right moments, use the space - it needs to be a 100% football package.
“Paris are a real package, defensively and offensively. You have to play football against them or you will never get rid of the pressure.”
Agreeing with Klopp’s prediction, PSG head coach Thomas Tuchel added: “We are aware that this meeting against Liverpool is crucial for us. We will have to find the right balance between aggressiveness to win and keeping our cool.
“We will need to have some confidence in our abilities, remain focused and focused on our goal. The preparation started last week, when we all found ourselves in training after the international break.”
Group C permutations Tonight’s fixtures: Napoli vs. Red Star Belgrade; PSG vs. Liverpool
- Liverpool will be through if they win and Red Star do not beat Napoli
- Napoli will be through if they win and PSG do not beat Liverpool
- PSG will be unable to finish in the top two if they lose and Napoli win
- Red Star will be unable to finish in the top two if they lose
Team news and predicted starting XIs
PSG team news
Neymar and Mbappe are fit to face Liverpool but despite returning to full training Dani Alves and Layvin Kurzawa are not expected to start. Neymar and Mbappe will line up in attack alongside Edinson Cavani and Marquinhos is expected to be in midfield.
Liverpool team news
Klopp will be able to call upon his own trio of star attackers - Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino. Mane has overcome illness and is fit to play while Salah is back to full fitness.
England defender Joe Gomez is also in contention to play but Nathaniel Clyne, Adam Lallana, Divock Origi and Dominic Solanke are out.
Predicted starting XIs
How the two teams could line up tonight at the Parc des Princes, according to Goal.com:
- PSG possible starting XIs (4-3-3): Buffon; Kehrer, Thiago Silva, Kimpembe, Bernat; Verratti, Marquinhos, Di Maria; Neymar, Cavani, Mbappe
- Liverpool possible starting XI (4-3-3): Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Van Dijk, Robertson; Fabinho, Henderson, Keita; Salah, Firmino, Mane
How to watch PSG vs. Liverpool
Tonight’s huge group C clash is live on BT Sport 2. The match kicks off at 8pm (UK time) and BT’s coverage from the Parc des Princes begins at 7pm.
Matchday five results, fixtures and TV guide
Results: Tuesday 27 November
- Group E: AEK Athens 0 Ajax 2; Bayern Munich 5 Benfica 1
- Group F: Lyon 2 Manchester City 2; 1899 Hoffenheim 2 Shakhtar Donetsk 3
- Group G: CSKA Moscow 1 Viktoria Plzen 2; Roma 0 Real Madrid 2
- Group H: Juventus 1 Valencia 0; Manchester United 1 Young Boys 0
Fixtures: Wednesday 28 November
- Group A: Atlético Madrid vs. Monaco (5.55pm, live on BT Sport 1); Borussia Dortmund vs. Club Brugge (8pm, live on BT Sport Extra 3)
- Group B: PSV Eindhoven vs. Barcelona (8pm, live on BT Sport ESPN); Tottenham Hotspur vs. Inter Milan (8pm, live on BT Sport 3)
- Group C: Napoli vs. Red Star Belgrade (8pm, live on BT Sport Extra 2); Paris Saint-Germain vs. Liverpool (8pm, live on BT Sport 2)
- Group D: Lokomotiv Moscow vs. Galatasaray (5.55pm, live BT Sport ESPN); FC Porto vs. FC Schalke 04 (8pm, live on BT Sport Extra 4)